Secretary of State
Deadline to Switch Political Party Affiliation is December 31, 2006

Press Release Date:  Tuesday, December 19, 2006  
Contact Information:  Les Fugate, Director of Communications
Office of the Secretary of State
Office: (502) 564-3490
Cell: (502) 229-3803

(Frankfort, KY) –If citizens want to change their party registration in time to participate in their party’s primary election that determine nominees for Kentucky’s constitutional offices, they must do so by December 31, 2006; otherwise, they might miss out on their chance.


            Kentucky state law requires any citizen who wishes to change his/her voter registration and also vote in that party’s upcoming primary election must be registered with his/her new party by December 31st of the preceding year.  The deadline also affects candidates who wish to switch political party affiliation and run in their new party's primary election.


            “Time is running out for citizens to change their party registration,” stated Secretary of State Trey Grayson, Kentucky’s Chief Election Officer.  “We want to make sure that every citizen has the chance to vote in the primary election of their choosing.”


            While voters who change their party registration after December 31, 2006 will not be able to vote in their new party’s primary election, they will be able to vote in special election, non-partisan races such as a number of judicial races that will be on this year’s ballot.


            Constitutional officer races that will appear on the ballot in 2007 include: Governor/Lt. Governor slate, Secretary of State, Attorney General, Auditor of Public Accounts, State Treasurer, and Commissioner of Agriculture.


            Those who wish to change their party can complete a voter registration card and submit it to the county clerk in their county of residence by the deadline. Because the 31st falls on a Sunday in 2006, and due to the holiday season, please be sure to check with your local county clerk for times that their offices will be open. Registration cards that are mailed must be postmarked by December 31, 2006.


            Voter Registration cards are available at county clerks' offices or on the Office of the Secretary of State's website, located at


# # #