Secretary of State
Deadline to Switch Political Party Affiliation is December 31, 2009

Press Release Date:  Wednesday, December 16, 2009  
Contact Information:  Les Fugate, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State
Office of the Secretary of State
Office: (502) 564-3490
Cell: (502) 229-3803

(Frankfort, KY)  If citizens want to change their party registration in time to participate in their party’s primary election that determines nominees for United States Senator, United States Congressional Representatives, state legislative races, and other partisan offices, they must do so by December 31, 2009; otherwise, they might miss out on their chance.


            Kentucky state law requires any citizen who wishes to change his/her voter registration and also vote in that party’s upcoming primary election must be registered with his/her new party by December 31st of the preceding year.  The deadline also affects candidates who wish to switch political party affiliation and run in their new party's primary election or those seeking ballot access as an independent.


            “Time is running out for citizens to change their party registration,” stated Secretary of State Trey Grayson, Kentucky’s Chief Election Officer.  “We want to make sure that every citizen has the chance to vote in the primary election of his or her choosing.”


            While voters who change their party registration after December 31, 2009 will not be able to vote in their new party’s primary election, they will be able to vote in special elections and non-partisan races.


            Races that will appear on the 2010 ballot include, but are not limited to:


United States Senator

United States Representative

State Senator (Even Districts)

State Representative

Justice of the Supreme Court, District 3

District Judge

County Judge/Executive

County Attorney

County Clerk

Property Valuation Administrator



County Commissioner


Magistrate/Justice of the Peace




City Legislative Body

Board of Education (School Board)

Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisors


            Those who wish to change their party can complete a voter registration card and submit it to the county clerk in their county of residence by the deadline. Due to the holiday season, please be sure to check with your local county clerk for times that their offices will be open. Registration cards that are mailed must be postmarked by December 31, 2009.


            Voter Registration cards are available at county clerks' offices or on the Vote! Kentucky website, located at


# # #