Department of Parks
State Parks Offer Discounts to Commemorate National Donor Day
FRANKFORT, Ky. – In honor of National Donor Day on Feb. 14, 2011, several Kentucky State Parks are offering special admission and lodging rates during February.
National Donor Day began in 1998 as a way to call attention to the need for organ donors across the U.S. Valentine’s Day was chosen. Everyone is encouraged to join the Kentucky Organ Donor Registry by saying “YES” when you renew your driver’s license or going online to www.donatelifeky.org and adding your name. In addition to joining the registry, you may sign the back of your driver’s license and use an orange donor dot to indicate your willingness to donate organs.
Here are the state park discounts being offered during February:
- Free Fridays in February at Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site at Wickliffe. In honor of National Donor Day, any park visitor presenting their driver’s license indicating they are a donor will receive free admission to Wickliffe Mounds museum on Feb. 4, 11, 18 and 25.
- Columbus-Belmont State Park at Columbus will offer a 20 percent discount on a Conference Center rental booked during the month of February to anyone with an “organ donor” sticker on their driver’s license in recognition of National Donor Day.
- Jefferson Davis State Historic Site at Fairview is open weekends in February. In honor of National Donor Day, any park visitor presenting their driver’s license signed indicating they are a donor will receive free admission at Jefferson Davis during the month of February.
- Barren River State Resort Park near Glasgow is offering one free night to organ donors if staying the 2nd night at regular rate. (Not applicable for Valentine’s Weekend). Call 1-800-325-0057.
- Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park at Dawson Springs is offering a discounted rate of $49.95 for lodge rooms to anyone who has signed their license to be an organ donor. Present your ID at check-in to receive this special rate. (Not applicable on Valentine Weekend). Call 1-800-325-1711.
- Lake Barkley State Resort Park at Cadiz is offering a 20 percent discount on lodge rooms during the month of February for anyone who has signed their license to be an organ donor. Simply present your ID at check-in to receive this special discount. (Not applicable on Valentine Weekend.) Call 1-800-325-1708.
- Kenlake State Resort Park at Aurora is offering a 20 percent discount on lodge rooms and cottage rates during February to Kentuckians holding a driver’s license marked as organ donors. Guests can register to be organ donors at the front desk. (Not valid with other promotions, not applicable on Valentine’s Weekend) Call 1-800-325-0143.
For more information about organ donation, visit www.trustforlife.org or call toll-free 1-866-945-5433.
The Kentucky State Park System is composed of 51 state parks plus an interstate park shared with Virginia. The Department of Parks, an agency of the Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, operates 17 resort parks with lodges -- more than any other state. For more information on Kentucky parks, visit our website at http://www.parks.ky.gov