Department of Parks - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Celebrate Memorial Day Weekend At Kentucky State Parks
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
With the Memorial Day weekend just a few days away, make plans to visit a Kentucky State Park for camping, hiking, golf, swimming, boating, fishing or enjoying a meal and overnight stay at one of the system’s 17 resort parks.
- Tech Adventure Camps at General Butler State Resort Park
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
General Butler State Resort Park will host Tech Adventure Camps in June and July for children in grades 1-8.
- Joe West Named Director of Kentucky State Park Rangers
Wednesday, May 08, 2013
Joe West, a retired Kentucky State Police officer, has been named the director of the ranger division for the Kentucky State Parks, Commissioner Elaine Walker announced today.
- Spring Arts & Crafts Show at Kentucky Dam Village May 25-26
Tuesday, May 07, 2013
Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park in Gilbertsville will hold its annual Spring Arts & Crafts Show on Memorial Day weekend, May 25-26.
- Kentucky State Parks Offer Discounts and Deals During Spring and Summer
Monday, May 06, 2013
The Kentucky State Parks are celebrating National Travel and Tourism Week May 4-12 with some special offers for guests during May and at other times during the spring and summer.
- Armed Forces Weekend Is May 17-19 at Green River Lake State Park
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
This weekend has been set aside to honor Americans in uniform who served their country in times of war and peace. Current and former members of the military can get a 10 percent camping discount.
- Smoky Bridge High Line Ride Offered May 4-5 at Carter Caves
Friday, April 26, 2013
Carter Caves State Resort Park is offering a zipline experience during the weekend of May 4-5 called the Smoky Bridge High Line Ride.
- Kentucky State Parks Hosting Adventure Race Series
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Kentucky State Parks will host the 2013 Unbridled Adventure Race Series, three adventure races that will test participants’ physical and mental skills for beginners and veteran racers.
- Volunteer Day Planned at Lake Barkley State Resort Park May 18
Monday, April 22, 2013
Lake Barkley State Resort Park and community volunteers will hold a “Pass It On” Volunteer Day on Saturday, May 18, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Golf Discount Card Available for Kentucky State Parks Golf Trail
Friday, April 19, 2013
The Kentucky State Parks Golf Trail is offering its golf discount card – a great way for golfers to get discounts at their local course.
- Kentucky State Parks Celebrate National Trails Day June 1
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Kentucky State Parks will be taking part in National Trails Day on June 1 with events across the state to recognize the excellent hiking opportunities at state parks.
- Birding on Barkley On May 11
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Lake Barkley State Resort Park and Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area will hold “Birding on Barkley” on May 11.
- Mother’s Day Buffet Planned At State Parks May 12
Monday, April 15, 2013
The Kentucky State Parks will be offering a Mother’s Day buffet Sunday, May 12.
- Garden Party Exhibit and Tea Planned at John James Audubon State Park
Friday, April 12, 2013
John James Audubon State Park will host “A Garden Party” art exhibit April 18-June 16 as part of its 75th anniversary celebration.
- Women on the Frontier Weekend April 20-21 at Fort Boonesborough
Friday, April 12, 2013
Guests will enjoy a weekend of learning and sharing frontier survival skills and hands-on participation in routine and vital tasks experienced and performed by pioneer women.
- John James Audubon State Park Hosts Author April 21
Thursday, April 11, 2013
John James Audubon State Park’s yearlong celebration of its 75th anniversary continues April 21 with the first of a series of talks on the Civilian Conservation Corp and the founding of the park during the dark days of the depression.
- Several Kentucky State Parks Honored By Kentucky Living
Wednesday, April 03, 2013
Several Kentucky State Parks were honored in Kentucky Living magazine’s 2013 Best in Kentucky reader picks contest, published in the April issue.
- Wheeler Named Manager at General Butler State Resort Park
Tuesday, April 02, 2013
Kentucky State Parks Commissioner Elaine Walker announced today that Misty Wheeler is the new park manager at General Butler State Resort Park at Carrollton.
- Rail City Dulcimer Festival April 4-6 at Greenbo Lake
Thursday, March 28, 2013
The Rail City Dulcimer Society is hosting its 3rd Annual Dulcimer Festival at Greenbo Lake State Resort Park April 4-6.
- Derby Weekend at Pennyrile Forest May 3-5
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park is offering guests a chance to celebrate the Kentucky Derby at the park with a special Derby Weekend Package May 3-5.