Transportation Cabinet - Central Office - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Transportation Cabinet awards two contracts for emergency bridge repairs
Monday, November 30, 2015
Office of Public Affairs
Department of Highways District 5, Louisville
Department of Highways District 7, Lexington
- Kentucky Office of Highway Safety urges Thanksgiving holiday travelers to buckle up on the highway
Friday, November 20, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Nov. 20, 2015) – Thanksgiving tradition is about more than turkey.
The most American of holidays also is the busiest travel time of the year, putting more people on the road and increasing the likelihood of crashes. As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety (KOHS) is reminding motorists to buckle up and is putting a special emphasis on those traveling in pickup trucks.
- Kentucky Public Transportation Infrastructure Authority joins electronic toll consortium E-ZPass Group
Friday, November 13, 2015
FRANKFORT, Kentucky (Nov. 13, 2015) – The Kentucky Public Transportation Infrastructure Authority (KPTIA) has been approved for membership in E-ZPass Group, which operates a common electronic toll payment program in 15 other states.
- New website creates online access to Commercial Driver License documents
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 28, 2015) – Commercial vehicle drivers now can go online to quickly and conveniently verify that their certifications for a commercial driver license (CDL) are up to date.
- Kentucky granted extension status under federal REAL ID Act
Monday, October 19, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 19, 2015) – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has granted Kentucky a one-year extension for meeting requirements of the stringent new identification security law known as REAL ID – meaning a Kentucky driver’s license is still sufficient for gaining access to the vast majority of federal installations.
- KOHS, KSP encourage drivers to be smart behind the wheel
Tuesday, October 06, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 6, 2015) – The rate of fatalities on Kentucky’s roadways is increasing in 2015, according to preliminary numbers from the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety (KOHS) and Kentucky State Police (KSP). There were 549 fatalities as of Oct. 6 – 58 more than at the same time last year.
- Kentucky’s commercial vehicle screening system accorded transportation research award
Tuesday, September 29, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Sept. 29, 2015) – Kentucky’s innovative use of technology for screening large commercial trucks that pass through the Commonwealth has been accorded the 2015 President’s Award for Research by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
- State Highway Engineer Steve Waddle receives national award
Monday, September 28, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Sept. 28, 2015) – Kentucky State Highway Engineer Steve Waddle has been awarded the 2015 Alfred E. Johnson Achievement Award by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). The award was announced Sunday, Sept. 27, in Chicago at AASHTO’s annual meeting.
- Joint Kentucky-Indiana bridge project singled out for transportation award
Tuesday, August 04, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Aug. 4, 2015) – An innovative, joint project by Kentucky and Indiana to replace a deteriorating Ohio River bridge with minimal disruption of river navigation and cross-river traffic has been singled out for a prestigious transportation award.
- Kentucky Public Transportation Infrastructure Authority votes to join electronic toll consortium E-ZPass Group
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
FRANKFORT, Kentucky (July 29, 2015) – The Kentucky Public Transportation Infrastructure Authority (KPTIA) today voted to join the E-ZPass Group, which operates a common electronic toll payment program in 15 states.
- Law enforcement officers, agencies honored for seat belt, child restraint enforcement
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (July 28, 2015) — The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety (KOHS) today honored 123 law enforcement officers from 103 agencies across the Commonwealth for their efforts to increase the use of seat belts and child restraints in motor vehicles.
- KOHS, KSP launch ‘Move Over’ campaign to protect those who protect us
Monday, July 27, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (July 27, 2015) — Every day on our roadways, emergency responders and public safety personnel put their lives at risk to protect the citizens of the Commonwealth. In an effort to protect those who protect us, the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety (KOHS) is joining the Kentucky State Police (KSP) to promote the message: Move Over. It’s the Law.
- Highway restrictions temporarily lifted for out-of-state utility vehicles
Monday, July 13, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (July 13, 2015) –In anticipation of severe weather in the forecast for this week and its potential to cause damage, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has waived certain highway restrictions for out-of-state utility vehicles traveling nationally to areas with widespread power outages.
- Clark County man, woman plead guilty to copper theft charges
Thursday, July 09, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (July 9, 2015) – A Clark County man and woman have pleaded guilty to a combined 33 criminal charges involving theft of copper wire from lighting systems on Kentucky highways.
- Governor Beshear announces award of contract to rebuild interchange in Hopkins County for I-69
Friday, June 12, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 12, 2015) – Governor Steve Beshear today announced the award of a contract for more of the improvements needed to bring the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway up to interstate highway standards and eventual designation as Interstate 69.
- Joint Board for Ohio River Bridges Project names Parsons as interim tolling system adviser, oversight contractor
Tuesday, June 09, 2015
JEFFERSONVILLE, Indiana (June 9, 2015) – The Kentucky-Indiana Joint Board for the Ohio River Bridges Project today appointed Parsons Transportation Group, Inc. as interim toll services advisor.
- Whitehaven welcome center receives top honors
Tuesday, June 02, 2015
PADUCAH, Ky. (June 2, 2015) — The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) today named the Whitehaven welcome center along Interstate 24 in McCracken County the Commonwealth’s best-maintained rest area of 2014.
- Construction projects suspended to ease holiday weekend travel
Friday, May 22, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 22, 2015) – Drivers traveling along Kentucky roadways may find their path a little easier this weekend. Although road construction season is now underway, work on most major roadways in Kentucky is being suspended through the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Nonetheless, motorists are cautioned to be alert for lane closures in many locations.
- Kentucky, Indiana propose actions to mitigate effects of tolling on low-income or minority populations
Thursday, May 07, 2015
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 7, 2015) – Kentucky and Indiana are proposing practical, concrete actions for lessening the effects of tolling on low-income and minority populations affected by the Louisville-Southern Indiana Ohio River Bridges Project.
- Transportation Cabinet honors fallen employees
Tuesday, April 28, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. (April 28, 2015) – In observance of National Workers’ Memorial Day, April 28, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is honoring employees who lost their lives while on the job.