Over the river – not out of the woods – for some holiday travelers
Bridge closures, detours, lane restrictions will confront some motorists in Kentucky
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Nov. 22, 2011) – Transportation construction and maintenance projects will affect some travelers in Kentucky over the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Chief among the disruptions is the closure of the Sherman Minton Bridge, which carries Interstate 64 across the Ohio River between Louisville and southern Indiana. The bridge is closed through March for structural repairs. I-64 traffic is detoured over alternate interstate routes in the area. Detailed maps and other information are at http://transportation.ky.gov/sherman-minton-bridge/Pages/default.aspx. Motorists are advised to anticipate traffic backups and adjust their travel time accordingly.
Elsewhere, construction is suspended for the holiday, but delays may occur because of lane closures or restrictions on:
• I-65 northbound in Barren County – Lane width restrictions between mile points 43 and 48.
• I-65 in Warren County – Traffic reduced to two lanes each direction between mile points 21 and 23.
• Hal Rogers Parkway in Perry County – Construction at Exit 56. The bridge over KY 451 is closed and traffic is using the exit ramp.
• Mountain Parkway in Powell County – Traffic reduced to one lane westbound near Exit 18.
• Mountain Parkway in Wolfe County – Traffic reduced to one lane each direction between Exits 43 and 46.
Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for the latest in traffic and travel information in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.