Governor Beshear announces award of nearly $75 million in contracts for highway, bridge improvements
Will improve safety and mobility for motoring public
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 3, 2011) – Gov. Steve Beshear today announced the awarding of nearly $75 million in contracts by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet for projects to improve highway safety and mobility across the Commonwealth.
The projects include funding for bridge deck repair, road maintenance, highway safety improvements and a new, state-of-the-art “double crossover diamond” interchange in Fayette County.
“My administration remains committed to improving highway safety and infrastructure in Kentucky,” said Gov. Beshear. “Funding these projects will enable us to rehabilitate deteriorating highways and bridges and ease traffic congestion. We also will add safeguards, in the form of cable guardrail, to more median area of Interstates 64 and 65.”
All the contracts were awarded on the basis of competitive bidding. The Transportation Cabinet received and announced the bids on May 20. Some of the more notable awards included:
• Concrete overlay on the Audubon Parkway from mile point 8.5 to the Green River bridge, and bridge deck overlay on the KY 416 bridge in Henderson County. Bid: $14,999,399. Contractor: The W.L. Harper Co.
• Highway extension of Murray-Mayfield Road (KY 80) from the intersection of KY 121 truck route east of Mayfield extending southwest to KY 303 in Graves County. Bid: $12,257,972. Contractor: Jim Smith Contracting Company LLC.
• Shoulder improvements and widening of U.S. 41A and modification of I-24/U.S. 41A interchange at Fort Campbell, in Christian County. Bid: $10,519,571. Contractor: Rogers Group Inc.
• Double crossover diamond interchange on Harrodsburg Road (U.S. 68) at New Circle Road (KY4) in Fayette County. Bid: $5,670,646. Contractor: L-M Asphalt Partners Ltd.
• Deck rehabilitation on the Glover Cary Bridge (KY 2262) over the Ohio River at Owensboro. Bid: $3,000,000. Contractor: Hall Contracting of Kentucky Inc.
• Bridge painting and cleaning, various counties of Department of Highways District 10-Jackson region. Bid: $2,621,720. Contractor: Troy Painting Inc.
• Median cable barrier installation on I-65 in Bullitt County and I-64 in Franklin and Woodford counties. Bid: $1,543,863. Contractor: Crowley Company Inc.
Work schedules are contained within individual contracts for each project. Results of the May 20 letting are posted at http://transportation.ky.gov/contract/.