Department of Highways, District 6
Update of Current Construction Projects in District 6
Update of Current Construction Projects in District Six
Covington, Kentucky- (October 2, 2006) - The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6 would like the public to be aware of the following conditions and/or operations that are being reported for highways in District Six. Changes and/or additions from last report are underlined. Motorists should be aware of possible delays or lane closures on the following projects:
· I-275 Ohio River Bridge-CARROL CROPPER BRIDGE- Eastbound and Westbound - Traffic can expect to encounter lane closures daily on the I-275 Ohio River Bridge from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. until Friday, October 6, 2006 while crews perform bridge inspection activities.
· Turfway Road – Traffic may be reduced to one lane at various locations from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM on Turfway Road. Watch for flagging operations. Be aware of flagmen stopping traffic to allow trucks to enter and exit the area. There may be lane shifts designated by traffic cones and barrels along Turfway Road from Steeplechase to Turfway Park.
· KY-471 Southbound from MP 1 to MP 0 – Traffic will be reduced to one from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM Monday night October 2, 2006. Traffic will be reduced to one lane from 9:00 PM Friday, October 6, 2006 through 9:00 AM Saturday, October 7, 2006. Traffic will be reduced to two lanes from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Saturday, October 7, 2006. Traffic will be reduced to one lane from 9:00 PM Saturday, October 7, 2006 through 9:00 AM Sunday, October 8, 2006. Expect delays.
· US 27, Falmouth to Newport Road – Construction is ongoing between KY 536 and A. J. Jolly Park. Watch for flaggers and construction traffic entering and leaving the roadway. The posted speed limit throughout the project is reduced from 55 mph to 45 mph. US 27 traffic has been switched to a new alignment near the intersection with KY 536. Please watch for traffic control devices and use caution in this area. Moreland Drive has been relocated north of its previous location, watch for signs and flaggers. Parkside Drive is closed at US 27, detour signs are posted. Craft Road is closed at the intersection of US 27. The closure will be permanent. An alternate route is posted using the “New Connector” road. The east side of Lickert Road is closed at the intersection of US 27. An alternate route is posted using the “New Connector” road.
· South Fort Thomas Avenue (KY 1120) from Saint Nicholas (MP 4.428) to US 27 (MP 5.746) Work continues with milling/texturing and asphalt paving operations during the week. There will be lane restrictions and temporary delays. Traffic will be controlled by flaggers.
· 10th Street Memorial Parkway (KY 1120) from Monmouth Street (MP 0.788) to North Fort Thomas Ave. (MP 3.905). There will be milling/texturing and asphalt paving operations occurring this week. Watch for traffic delays and lane restrictions. Flaggers will control traffic.
· Grandview Avenue-River Road (KY 445) from KY 8 (MP 0.000) to US 27 (MP 1.430) The contractor will begin milling/texturing and asphalt paving operations in the near future. Expect lane restrictions and temporary delays.
· I-71 Southbound at MP 63.5 – The left lane will be closed on I-71 Southbound on October 3, 2006 for a diesel fuel cleanup operation.
· I-71 Northbound and Southbound from MP 62 to MP 75 – There will be various lane closures on I-71 from 8:30 AM until 3:00 PM daily. These closures will be during the day only and the work will be completed within 1 to 2 weeks.
· I-71 Northbound and Southbound from MP 57 to MP 61 – The speed limit on I-71 from around the 57 mile marker to the 61 mile marker has been reduced from 65 MPH to 55 MPH. This is a double fine zone. Traffic will be in its current pattern for most of the summer. Periodic lane closures will be set up to get rock and concrete trucks in and out of traffic.
· US 25 - between MP 15 – 18 – Utility work continues on US 25 in Grant County. Utility construction will have traffic restricted to one lane from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM with use of flagmen at construction area. Short delays possible.
· I-75 (MP 153 – MP 158) – As construction continues on this project, watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. The speed limit is reduced to 55 MPH on this project. “Double Fine” signs will be posted during daily work. Be aware of new traffic lane alignments. Low clearance (16’2”) posted on I-75 southbound left lane at KY 36 bridge over I-75 (Exit 154).
· Corinth – Cordova Road (KY 330) – KY 330 is closed 0.1 mile east of US 25 for new bridge construction. KY 330 traffic should follow the marked detour along US 25 and KY 36 (a 20 mile loop). KY 330 will be closed at this location until October 2006.
· Hempling Road @ MP 2.5 - (KY 3072) will be closed for repairs from October 3, 2006 and will remain closed until October 6, 2006 at MP 2.5. School Busses and Emergency Vehicles will be permitted to pass through the work zone.
· Clay Wade Bailey Bridge (US25/US 42) over the Ohio River – This work has been completed there should be no traffic delays due to bridge inspection activities.
· I-75 Southbound from MP 190 to MP 187 – Traffic will be reduced to two lanes on southbound I-75 from 9:00 PM Friday, September 29, 2006 through 9:00 AM Saturday, September 30, 2006. Traffic will be reduced to three lanes from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Saturday, September 30, 2006. Traffic will be reduced to two lanes from 9:00 PM Saturday, September 30, 2006 through 9:00 AM Sunday, October 1, 2006. Traffic will be reduced to two lanes nightly from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM from Tuesday, October 3, 2006 through Thursday, October 5, 2006. Expect delays.
· Turkeyfoot Road from WEST RICHARDSON TO AUTUMN ROAD - Clubhouse drive will be closed at Turkeyfoot Road through October 16, 2006. Traffic is detoured through Wedgewood Drive. Detour signs will be posted. Hunter’s Green Drive will remain closed at Turkeyfoot Road through Monday October 9, 2006. Hunter’s Green Drive can be accessed from Industrial Road. Detour signs will be posted. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway.
· Turkeyfoot Road from Lindenwood Drive to Dudley Road – Work continues along Turkeyfoot Road from Haywood Circle to Dudley Road. The right lane of northbound Turkeyfoot Road may be closed periodically between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Watch for construction vehicles entering and leaving the highway.
· KY 1072 – Highland Pike at KY 17 – The extension of Highland Pike east toward the Fidelity Investments Campus has began. Watch for increased construction traffic and flaggers at the intersection.
· KY 17 – Madison Pike. Work on KY 17 continues between Pelly Road and KY 16. Watch for increased construction traffic. Flaggers will be used on KY 17, KY 536 and KY 16 for utility construction and truck crossings. Short Delays can be expected. Oby Drive remains closed with an alternate route posted. McCullum Road will be closed at the intersection of Oliver Road. McCullum Road will remain open at the existing KY 17 intersection, local traffic will be provided between existing KY 17 and the new highway construction. Two detour routes will be posted; the first will utilize Fowler Creek Road while the second will use Harris Pike.
Maintenance and construction activities are scheduled on a tentative basis and are subject to change depending on weather conditions, emergencies, and other factors beyond the control of the Department of Highways. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet appreciates your patience during the construction process.
Motorists are urged to use caution in work areas, and to be alert for flaggers, workers, and equipment which may block a portion of the roadway, and other items of concern in work zones. Motorists are asked to pay careful attention to warning signs alerting them of the roadwork and obey work zone speed limits where applicable.
For the latest up to date information on road conditions throughout Kentucky, motorists can dial 511.