Department of Highways, District 11
GOVERNOR FLETCHER, KYTC, FAA & LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AWARD $172,600 TO LONDON-CORBIN AIRPORT

Press Release Date:  Monday, October 24, 2005  
Contact Information:  SANDY RUDDER
INFORMATION OFFICER
606) 598-2145
Sandy.Rudder@ky.gov
 


Governor Ernie Fletcher, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Federal Aviation Administration and local governments are working to upgrade the aviation network for the London-Corbin Airport. A contract totaling $172,600 will be invested to construct T-Hangars.  Hangars protect aircraft from the elements giving the based aircraft/airport customers “peace-of-mind” that their investment is protected.

 “Our airports are crucial to the future economic development in our state,” said Governor Ernie Fletcher. “Aviation forecasts predict this industry will grow significantly over the next decade, and it's important that Kentucky is ready.”

“The Department of Aviation has a clear mission to improve aviation safety, enhance our existing infrastructure, add new infrastructure where gaps exist and make us more attractive to businesses that are looking to relocate or expand,” stated acting Secretary  Bill Nighbert.”  “This project is an example of our continuing work to make Kentucky a shining example for aviation across the Nation!”

These improvement projects are the result of a partnership between the Federal Aviation Administration, Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and local governments.  The Federal Aviation Administration contributes 95% of the funding with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and local counties providing the remaining 5%.
          -30-