||Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Highways, District 10
|Transportation Cabinet, Morgan County Fiscal Court Begin Pilot Project For Snow Removal
||January 20, 2005
||H.B. Elkins, Information Officer, 606-666-8841, firstname.lastname@example.org
JACKSON, KY – (Jan. 20, 2005) -- The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and the Morgan County Fiscal Court have begun a pilot project in which the county road department will remove snow and ice from selected state highways designated as "Priority C" for snow removal.
Under the agreement, the state will pay the county a set fee each month for snow and ice removal duties. Once winter is over, the project will continue with mowing duties on these routes being undertaken by the county.
"We believe this pilot project will be beneficial for both the state and the county," said Linda Wagner-Justice, acting chief district engineer. "This will enable these ‘Priority C’ roads to be cleared sooner. Since the county’s trucks travel these state roads anyway to reach the county roads they salt and plow, we think it’s advantageous to allow them to do snow removal on these state routes. This allows our state crew to concentrate on the more heavily traveled routes in the county like the Mountain Parkway, US 460, KY 7, KY 205 and KY 519. These are major routes with regional significance, used by through traffic as well as local motorists. We feel this will be a ‘win-win’ situation for everyone -- the state, the county and the traveling public."
Under the agreement, the county assumes snow and ice removal responsibilities for 107.350 miles of state numbered routes in Morgan County. Most of those routes are categorized as rural secondary or supplemental routes in the State Primary Road System hierarchy.
Specific routes included are:
- KY 364, 6.936 miles from the Magoffin County line to US 460.
- KY 589, 6.633 miles from KY 172 to KY 437.
- KY 650, 4.020 miles from KY 172 to the Elliott County line.
- KY 705, 2.269 miles from KY 844 at Buskirk to KY 205 at Nickell.
- KY 706, 1.733 miles from KY 172 to the Elliott County line.
- KY 711, 2.914 miles from the beginning of state maintenance at Redwine to KY 7 at Wrigley.
- KY 772, 6.903 miles from KY 705 to KY 519.
- KY 844, 8.756 miles from KY 205 to US 460.
- KY 882, 4.547 miles from KY 1010 to US 460.
- KY 946, 5.089 miles from the Menifee County line to US 460.
- KY 976, 3.819 miles from the beginning of state maintenance southwest of Norman Sheets Road to KY 519.
- KY 985, 3.000 miles from KY 772 to the end of state maintenance near Cox Cemetery Road.
- KY 1000, 6.575 miles from KY 191 at Caney to US 460.
- KY 1002, 4.568 miles from KY 519 near Yocum to the end of state maintenance near Hans Branch Road.
- KY 1081, 1.515 miles from US 460 to the Magoffin County line.
- KY 1161, 6.123 miles from KY 7 at Pomp to KY 172 at Lenox.
- KY 1162, 2.869 miles from KY 191 to KY 1000.
- KY 1190, 0.100 mile loop from KY 1002 back to KY 1002.
- KY 1260, 6.813 miles from KY 437 near Dingus to the end of state maintenance.
- KY 1569, 1.051 miles from the Menifee County line to the Menifee County line.
- KY 1614, 0.249 miles from KY 172 to the Johnson County line.
- KY 1715, 1.705 miles from KY 172 to the Lawrence County line.
- KY 1950, 2.926 miles from the Menifee County line to KY 772.
- KY 2023, 0.25 miles from the Menifee County line to the end of state maintenance at Camp Judy Layne.
- KY 2027, 0.532 miles from the Wolfe County line to KY 1010.
- KY 2496, 0.300 miles from US 460 at Ezel to near Mays Road.
- KY 2497, 0.668 mile loop from US 460 at Ezel back to US 460.
- KY 3036, 2.225 miles from KY 519 to KY 1002.
- KY 3089, 2.900 miles from the Wolfe County line to KY 203.
- KY 3333, 1.776 miles from the Magoffin County line to KY 364 near Matthew.
- KY 3345, 4.969 miles from KY 772, to KY 705 near Woodsbend.
- KY 3420, 2.617 miles from KY 1002 near Blaze to KY 711 south of Leisure.