Department of Highways, District 10
Governor Fletcher, KYTC, FAA & Local Governments Award $50,000 to Julian Carroll Airport in Breathitt County

Press Release Date:  Monday, October 24, 2005  
Contact Information:  H.B. ELKINS
INFORMATION OFFICER,
DISTRICT 10
(606) 666-8841
hb.elkins@ky.gov
http://transportation.ky.gov/d10
 


JACKSON, KY (October 24, 2005) - Governor Ernie Fletcher, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Federal Aviation Administration and local counties are working to upgrade the aviation network for the Julian Carroll Airport in Breathitt County. A contract totaling $50,000 will be invested in updating the Airport Layout Plan to allow for better planning of future airport projects.

"Our airports are crucial to the future economic development in our state," said Governor Ernie Fletcher. "Aviation forecasts predict this industry will grow significantly over the next decade, and it's important that Kentucky is ready."

"The Department of Aviation has a clear mission to improve aviation safety, enhance our existing infrastructure, add new infrastructure where gaps exist and make us more attractive to businesses that are looking to relocate or expand," stated acting Secretary Bill Nighbert. "This project is an example of our continuing work to make Kentucky a shining example for aviation across the nation."

These improvement projects are the result of a partnership between the Federal Aviation Administration, Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and local governments. The Federal Aviation Administration contributes 95 percent of the funding with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and local governments providing the remaining 5 percent.

###