Department of Highways, District 10
Transportation Cabinet awards construction contracts for District 10
JACKSON, Ky. — The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has awarded six contracts totaling more than $12 million for highway projects impacting six counties in the Department of Highways District 10.
Contracts awarded as part of the February 2011 letting are:
- A $2,743,794.63 contract to construct two new exit ramps at the intersection of the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway and KY 1057 (Exit 18) in Powell County near Clay City. The project is to be completed within 150 working days once construction begins. The Allen Co., Inc. was the successful bidder.
- A $518,897 contract to resurface 5.77 miles of KY 715 in Wolfe County, from KY 11 near the Lee County line extending north to KY 15 at Pine Ridge. The project is to be completed by Nov. 15. Hinkle Contracting Corp. was the successful bidder.
- A $93,015.20 contract to resurface 1.03 miles of KY 867 in Magoffin County from KY 1635 to KY 7. The project is to be completed by Nov. 15. Mountain Enterprises, Inc. was the successful bidder.
- A $7,298,281.72 contract to reconstruct KY 89 in Estill County from the Irvine bypass to 2,000 feet north of Estill County High School. The project is to be completed within 230 working days once construction begins. The Allen Co., Inc. was the successful bidder.
- A $879,662.91 contract to resurface three segments of KY 15 totaling 5.46 miles. Segments include 1.58 miles from near the Breathitt County line to near KY 1261 at Bethany; 1.52 miles from near the Mountain Parkway bridge crossing at milepoint 17.182 to the Powell County line; and 2.36 miles from near the Holly Creek Bridge to Hunting Fork Road. The project is to be completed by Nov. 15. Hinkle Contracting Corp. was the successful bidder.
- A $419,550.15 contract for paving of 2.466 miles of two routes in Perry County. Segments include resurfacing and maintenance of 1.30 miles of Business KY 15 in Hazard, and resurfacing of 1.16 miles of KY 550 between KY 476 and the Knott County line. The project is to be completed by Nov. 15. Mountain Enterprises, Inc. was the successful bidder.
The Department of Highways District 10 consists of 10 counties – Breathitt, Estill, Lee, Magoffin, Menifee, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Powell and Wolfe – in east-central and southeastern Kentucky. The district office is located in Jackson.
Construction activities are scheduled on a tentative basis and are subject to change depending on weather conditions. Motorists are asked to “Drive Smart” in work zones and be aware of workers, traffic control devices and construction equipment when traveling in areas where projects are ongoing.
Significant traffic impacts resulting from construction and maintenance projects are posted on District 10’s Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict10) and also on the district’s Twitter feed (http://www.twitter.com/KYTCDistrict10). Drivers can check these sites prior to traveling to determine if there will be traffic delays for which they should plan.