Arts Council - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Bardstown, Maysville named Kentucky Cultural Districts
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today announced that the cities of Bardstown and Maysville joined the list of official Kentucky Cultural Districts, bringing the total number of state-certified communities to six.
- 30 Kentucky schools create 'Derby Blankets' for Governor's Derby Celebration
Thursday, May 02, 2013
Artwork created by students at 30 Kentucky schools will be featured as unique art installations on the grounds of the Old State Capitol during the Governor's Derby Celebration, May 4 in downtown Frankfort.
- Kentucky Arts Council sponsors conference on community building through the arts
Wednesday, May 01, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council is sponsoring a colloquium for local leaders who are interested in using the arts as a community-building tool.
- Kentucky Crafted artists to participate in Governor's Derby Celebration
Monday, April 29, 2013
Fourteen Kentucky Crafted artists will exhibit handmade art and craft and offer goods for sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 4, on the lawn of the Old State Capitol as part of the Governor's Derby Celebration festivities.
- Kentucky Arts Council awards grants for arts programming for senior population
Friday, April 26, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council has awarded more than $50,000 in grants to six organizations that will provide arts programming to people 65 and older in an effort to address barriers that may prevent underserved populations of Kentuckians from experiencing the arts.
- Poet Laureate Frank X Walker to be inducted on Kentucky Writers' Day
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Lexington writer Frank X Walker will be officially inducted as Kentucky Poet Laureate in a public ceremony on Kentucky Writers' Day at 10 a.m., April 24, in the Capitol Rotunda.
- Submit Kentucky Writers' Day events for online listing
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Organizations planning events in celebration of Kentucky Writers' Day on April 24 are invited to submit their information to be listed online with the Kentucky Arts Council.
- Governor's Derby Exhibit on display through May 6
Tuesday, April 09, 2013
Twenty-six works of art by Kentucky artists were chosen from 163 entries to be displayed in the Governor's Derby Exhibit, part of the Governor's Derby Celebration.
- Kentucky Arts Council presents architectural artists at Central Kentucky Home, Garden & Flower Show
Tuesday, April 02, 2013
A special display of work by Kentucky artists who create architectural elements, sculptures, custom-made fixtures and uniquely crafted installations for residential and commercial spaces will be prominently featured at the 38th Annual Central Kentucky Home, Garden & Flower Show.
- Kentucky Crafted artists exhibit at Indiana Artisan Marketplace
Monday, April 01, 2013
Thirty-three artists in the Kentucky Crafted Program will exhibit fine art and craft at the 2013 Indiana Artisan Marketplace, April 6-7 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis.
- Governor appoints new member to Kentucky Arts Council board
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Governor Steve Beshear has appointed one new member to the Kentucky Arts Council board, and reappointed four current board members.
- Kentucky Arts Council board to meet in Frankfort
Monday, March 18, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will have its quarterly board meeting March 22, 2013, from noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History in the Brown-Forman Corp. Kentucky Room, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort.
- Boyd County student wins state Poetry Out Loud competition
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Boyd County High School student Gabby Thompson won the right to travel to Washington, D.C., in April to represent Kentucky in the National Poetry Out Loud poetry recitation contest by winning the state competition today.
- Kentucky Arts Council seeks schools to create Derby celebration artwork
Thursday, March 07, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council invites schools to participate in the Governor's Derby Celebration by painting canvases to be used as tablecloths on picnic tables at the annual event.
- By the numbers – Fun facts about Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Kentucky Crafted: The Market, the Kentucky Arts Council's award-winning arts marketplace, returns this weekend, March 1-3, to the Lexington Convention Center. The Market features the highest quality work from artists across the state who are adjudicated participants in the Kentucky Crafted Program.
- 17 will compete in state Poetry Out Loud championship
Monday, February 25, 2013
Kentucky's 17 Poetry Out Loud school champions will compete for the state championship March 12 in Frankfort, the next tier of competition in the national poetry recitation contest. The state winner will advance to the national Poetry Out Loud competition.
- Activities, exhibits abound at Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Friday, February 22, 2013
Music, art, hands-on activities and exhibits combine to create a one-of-a-kind arts experience for visitors to Kentucky Crafted: The Market March 2-3 at the Lexington Convention Center.
- Arts education grant available to Kentucky teachers
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Opportunities are available for teachers to collaborate with professional artists to provide unique arts education experiences for students through the Kentucky Arts Council's Teaching Art Together grant.
- Registration open for arts marketing workshop at Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will offer a workshop for artists interested in marketing their work and learning about the application process for the Kentucky Crafted Program at Kentucky Crafted: The Market.
- Buyers can still register for Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Kentucky Crafted: The Market is open Friday, March 1, to buyers and representatives of businesses who want to include the finest art and craft produced in the Commonwealth in their retail collections.