Governor's Office of Agricultural Policy
Annual Meeting Recognizes Agricultural Leaders
FRANKFORT, Ky. – Today, the Governor’s Office of Agricultural Policy (GOAP) hosted its 2009 Annual Meeting: Energizing Kentucky Agriculture in Lexington, KY.
This event brought agricultural leaders and others together to exchange ideas and learn about opportunities created by the Kentucky Agricultural Development Fund and the Kentucky Agricultural Finance Corporation loan programs.
This year’s Annual Meeting featured a keynote address from Chris Chinn, past chair of the American Farm Bureau Federation’s Young Farmer and Rancher Committee, who was also featured in this past October’s Progressive Farmer magazine. Other event highlights included a tradeshow, Kentucky Proud food samples, policy and program updates, and an awards luncheon recognizing those who have exemplified outstanding rural leadership and ingenuity in 2008.
Commissioner of Agriculture, Richie Farmer and Executive Director of the Governor’s Office of Agricultural Policy, Roger Thomas, presented awards to leaders in the agriculture community for their service to Kentucky’s agricultural diversification effort.
“Through the efforts of these recipients and hundreds of other volunteers throughout Kentucky, our state has become a shining example for creating opportunities through our unique agricultural investment programs,” said Roger Thomas. “All of these award winners demonstrate extraordinary leadership and dedication to Kentucky’s agricultural industry.”
The awards are as follows:
- Innovations in Agriculture (individual)- J.D. Country Milk
- Innovations in Agriculture (group)-Kentucky Agriculture Leadership Program
- KAFC Lender of the Year- Harry Young
- KAFC Agriculture Entrepreneur of the Year-Jeremy and Randi Jury
- Extension Agent of the Year-Gary Carter, Harrison County
- Administrator of the Year-Sharon Corbin, Pendleton County
County Council Members of the Year:
- District 1-Gayle Arnold, Montgomery County
- District 2-Phyllis Amyx, Wolfe County
- District 3-Larry Ayres, Owen County
- District 4-Keith Smith, Harrison County
- District 5-Tim Tarter, Pulaski County
- District 6-Russell Poore, Logan County
- District 7-Joe Dan Taylor, Calloway County
For more detailed information and photos on the award winners contact Angela Blank with the Governor’s Office of Agricultural Policy at (502) 564-4627.