Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement
AWOL Soldier Caught After Allegedly Kidnapping His Wife

Press Release Date:  Thursday, October 20, 2005  
Contact Information:  Bobby Clue
Information Officer

KVE LogoFrankfort, KY - Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement (KVE) officers were involved in a vehicle pursuit near I-65 on the Tennessee/Kentucky state line stemming from an alleged kidnapping that resulted in multiple other charges.

Melvin Alexander Jr., a communications specialist at Fort Hood, Texas is accused of kidnapping his wife, who is also a soldier, from Texas and driving all the way to Kentucky. His wife escaped after she alerted a worker at a rest stop near I-65 on the Tennessee/Kentucky state line. She told the worker that she was being held against her will by her husband. Upon a matching description of  Alexander's Chevrolet Suburban, KVE officer Lt. Bruce Patterson was led on a high speed car chase that exceeded 100 mph.

"The suspect was driving very recklessly. He was weaving in and out of traffic, driving on the shoulders and actually entered some of the grassy portions on the state right of way as he was trying to evade police. We feared he was going to continue and hurt somebody," said Patterson.

Upon slowing traffic, Alexander pulled his Suburban off the road and took off on foot. Kentucky State Police, Simpson County officers and Tennessee Highway Patrol assisted in a man hunt that lasted more than five hours. At approximately 11:30 pm, Wednesday night, KVE special operations officer Randy Honeycutt identified Alexander at a Franklin County truck stop where he was taken into custody without incident.

"I am glad to see this night come to an end," said KVE Information Officer Mike Bunch. "There is always a feeling of accomplishment when an incident of this magnitude is resolved without further injuries."

Melvin Alexander was charged with reckless driving, speeding, fleeing and evading police with a motor vehicle and fleeing and evading police on foot. Early indications are that he United Stated Army is expected to transfer Alexander back to Fort Hood to stand further charges.

Alexander's wife, who alleges that her husband also beat her, was treated for injuries and released from the Franklin-Simpson medical center.