Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority
August Financial Aid Tip

Press Release Date:  Friday, August 01, 2014  
Contact Information:  Tim Ballard
(502) 696-7372

The federal government offers several financial aid programs that may help students interested in health care careers pay college expenses, according to the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA).

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has four scholarship programs:

·         National Health Service Corps Scholarship: For students who plan to become physicians, dentists, nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives or physician’s assistants.

·         National Institutes of Health Undergraduate Scholarship: For students interested in careers in biomedical, behavioral or social science health-related research.

·         NURSE Corps Scholarship: For students accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a registered nurse program at an accredited school of nursing in a U.S. state or territory.

·         Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students: For students from disadvantaged backgrounds interested in just about any health care field.

HHS also offers several loan and loan repayment programs. Several HHS scholarship, loan and repayment programs require recipients to provide public service health care for certain lengths of time.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for all of these programs.

KHEAA is the state agency that administers Kentucky’s student financial aid programs, including the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES).

To find links to other useful education websites, go to For more information about Kentucky scholarships and grants, visit; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602; or call 800-928-8926, ext. 6-7372.