Kentucky Heritage Council
10 Kentucky sites approved for National Register listing, now go to National Park Service for final determination; nominations include St. Jerome's-Fancy Farm complex
FRANKFORT, Ky. – Ten nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, including the St. Jerome’s Catholic Church Complex at Fancy Farm and Churchill Weavers in Berea, were approved for National Register listing during a meeting today of the Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board in Frankfort.
Also approved were the James William Kite Store in Waterloo, in Boone County; the Goodall Building in Danville; the Southeast Greyhound Line Building (LexTran) in Lexington; the Brown-Henry House and Point Breeze in Frankfort, and Bridgeport School in Franklin County; the Hiram and Art Stamper House in Knott County; and Norfolk Farm Tenant Log House in Trimble County.
The Kentucky Heritage Council/State Historic Preservation Office administers the National Register program in Kentucky. The agency provides administrative support to the review board, which is charged with evaluating National Register nominations prior to their submission to the National Park Service (NPS). The NPS will issue a final determination of listing within about 60 days.
The National Register is the nation’s official list of historic and archaeological resources deemed worthy of preservation. Kentucky has the fourth-highest number of listings among states, at nearly 3,300. Listing can be applied to buildings, objects, structures, districts and archaeological sites, and proposed sites must be significant in architecture, engineering, American history or culture.
National Register status does not affect property ownership rights, but does provide a measure of protection against adverse impacts from federally funded projects. Owners of National Register properties may qualify for federal or state tax credits for certified rehabilitation of these properties, or by making a charitable contribution of a preservation easement. For more, see www.heritage.ky.gov.
A meeting agenda and complete nominations with photos are available at www.heritage.ky.gov/natreg/. A summary of each nomination approved today follows.
# # #
Several nominations have been approved for National Register listing by the NPS since the last review board meeting in May. These are:
- Daviess County: Thomas Krahwinkel Farmhouse
- Franklin County: South Frankfort Neighborhood District and Knight-Taylor-Hockensmith House
- Jefferson County: Leslie V. Abbott House, Breslin Building, Filson Club, Edward Kurfee’s Paint Company and University of Louisville Library
- Kenton County: Lincoln-Grant School
- McCracken County: Coca-Cola Bottling Plant
- Rockcastle County: Great Saltpetre Cave
- Scott County: Sadieville Historic District
- Wayne County: Wayne County High School
- Wolfe County: Wolfe County High School
# # #
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Heritage Council / State Historic Preservation Office is responsible for the identification, protection and preservation of prehistoric resources and historic buildings, sites and cultural resources throughout the Commonwealth, in partnership with other state and federal agencies, local communities and interested citizens. This mission is integral to making communities more livable and has a far-ranging impact on issues as diverse as economic development, jobs creation, affordable housing, tourism, community revitalization, environmental conservation and quality of life. www.heritage.ky.gov
James William Kite Store, 8800 East Bend Road, Burlington vicinity; authored by Kaitlin Barber, Boone County Public Library – A single-story, wood frame commercial building with metal roof and stone foundation, dating to about 1891. Through the early 20th century, the store was operated by members of the Kite family, the most prominent being James William Kite, a Boone County merchant and farmer. The building has two rooms – a main, intact section all constructed of wood, and a later addition of vertical plank boards. Nominated under Criterion C, property that embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or represents the work of a master, or possesses high artistic values, or represents a significant and distinguishable entity whose components lack individual distinction. According to the author, the store is significant “in that it shows how rural general stores in Boone County fused simplicity in design with a similar lack of pretense in their operation… The sole purpose of design in such a building was to denote its commercial function, as distinct from residential.”
Goodall Building, 470 Stanford Road, Danville; authored by Fred J. Rogers, Preservation Services and Technology Group – This large, two-story building features a skeleton of interlocking steel beams and walls of concrete block and brick. The structure was originally referred to as a “Daylight Building” because of the numerous large, metal casement windows designed to light the interior. According to the author, “The building is typical of Modernist industrial architecture that placed emphasis on the geometric form of the structure…” Goodall was the first industrial manufacturing plant of its kind to be located in Danville, built at the height of the Great Depression. The factory remained a key employer until the 1980s. It is interpreted as locally significant under National Register Criterion A, property associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our nation’s history, for its association with the Goodall Clothing Company, from 1936 to 1963. The factory was responsible for making Palm Beach Suits, one of America’s premier brands, highly sought-after by the wealthy in America, Europe and other parts of the world.
Southeast Greyhound Line Building, 101 W. Loudon Ave., Lexington; authored by Stacie Williams, Northside Neighborhood Association – Also known as the LexTran Building, this two-story, masonry structure includes the original portion with Art Deco façade, which faces Loudon Avenue, and a later warehouse addition along North Limestone containing administrative offices and a garage. Its plan is the product of several additions over time. The building measures 7,120 square feet. From 1936-60, this building was “locally significant for the economic development it advanced, for the transportation networks it facilitated, for the social and cultural exchange that it offered, and the technological advances it helped usher in – all things that originated in that building,” according to the author. It is nominated under Criterion A, and its significance is being evaluated within the context “Bus Transportation in the Southeast United States, 1914-1960.”
Brown-Henry House, 818 Fields Ave., Frankfort; authored by Janie-Rice Brother, senior architectural historian, Kentucky Archaeological Survey – Named for Orlando Brown Jr., its owner when built, and for the Henry family, the next longest-term owners/occupants. Also referred to as the Orlando Brown Summer Home, the house dates to about 1872 and is situated on a hill overlooking Holmes Street and was outside of the city limits until 1950. The house is a 1½-story, painted brick dwelling built in the Gothic Revival style. It is interpreted under Criterion A, locally significant in the area of community planning and development. The author notes the house as “important for its association with two significant trends in Frankfort’s development. First, it follows the pattern where people of means would acquire a property on the fringe of town as a summer home, using it as a farm and a source of income; second… the property became associated with the town’s first suburb, which developed in the late-19th century.”
Point Breeze, 219 Riverview St., Frankfort; authored by Jennifer Ryall, University of Kentucky/Kentucky Archaeological Survey – A two-story brick, Italianate-styled house with a three-story, four-sided tower rising to a mansard roof clad in tin shingles, including a mortared stone wall dating to the construction of the building. This house was known as Point Breeze, home of B.B. Sayre and the final location of the Sayre Institute for Boys. According to the author, “Sayre began teaching in Frankfort around 1840 and was valued as one of the most prominent educators of his day.” It is nominated under Criterion B, property associated with the lives of persons significant in our nation’s past, interpreted for its association with Sayre, “an important educator in Frankfort’s early efforts to educate its youth.” Its period of significance extends from 1870-1879, beginning the year B.B. Sayre acquired the land, extending through construction and until Sayre’s death in 1879. After his death, the building no longer served an educational function. Its significance is evaluated within the context, “Private Education in Franklin County, Kentucky, 1870-1879.”
Bridgeport School, Bridgeport Road, Frankfort vicinity; authored by Fred J. Rogers – Constructed in 1942, this three-story building features a poured concrete foundation and floors, concrete block walls clad in brick veneer, and a flat roof. Designed by architect John F. Williams of Lexington, the school was built in Bridgeport, about five miles west of Frankfort, “in response to a statewide effort to consolidate the county’s one-room schools into larger and more efficient buildings,” according to the author. “The school was built in the Art Moderne style… that swept the country between 1925-1940… Like many architectural terms, Art Moderne was widely used to convey any number of industrial schemes that promoted speed and efficiency, with little or no attention given to classical forms.” The building includes a rear addition – a gym with a “Quonset” style roof, part of a previous school on this site that burned in the late 1930s. The school is interpreted under Criterion A for its role in local education, evaluated within the context of “Education in Bridgeport, West Franklin County, 1937-1965.”
St. Jerome’s Catholic Church Complex, 10225 KY 80 West, Fancy Farm; authored by Melinda Winchester of Winchester Preservation – Located in the center of Fancy Farm, in Graves County, this nominated site was originally developed by pioneer Catholic settlers in 1829. It covers approximately 17 acres and includes seven contributing buildings: St. Jerome’s Catholic Church, brick with applied stucco, influenced by the Late Gothic Style and constructed in 1892 on the site where the original church was built in 1836; St. Jerome’s Rectory, constructed in 1912 by parishioners in an American Foursquare design; St. Jerome’s School, constructed in 1909, Neo-Classical in design with Craftsman influences evident in overhanging eaves and decorative interior wood trims; St. Jerome’s High School, constructed in 1948, a three-story brick building; St. Jerome’s High School cafeteria buildings, constructed simultaneously in 1960, red brick connected by a metal awning breezeway; St. Jerome’s High School Ag Shop, dating to 1955, a white masonry block building; St. Jerome’s Parish Office (formerly the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth Convent), constructed in 1964 in a ranch-style design; and St. Jerome’s Cemetery, dating to 1820 and still in use. Nominated under Criterion A for the role it played in local social history and the development of Fancy Farm. Its significance is explored within the context, “Catholic Settlement and Social History in Graves County, 1829-1964.” The nomination also focuses on the complex as site of the annual Fancy Farm picnic, which dates to 1880 and started as a gathering for parish families. “Candidates for county and state offices began to come and speak to the large gathering and make their ‘last ditch stand,’ ” noted the author. Today the picnic “has evolved into one of the most important political gatherings for local and national candidates to attend… ” Proceeds are used for the upkeep of buildings, additional picnic improvements, and other parish needs and projects.
Hiram and Art Stamper House, 864 Stamper Branch Road, Hindman vicinity; authored by Carol Moore – Nominated under Criterion B, significant as the home of two master fiddlers, Hiram Stamper (1893-1992) and his son, Art Stamper (1933-2005). According to the author, the Stampers kept alive a traditional fiddling style that was brought to America from the British Isles. As one generation handed the music on to the next, it provided entertainment, but it also helped people maintain a connection to their ancestors. Both Stampers became well-known, award-winning fiddlers. The Stampers moved to the property in 1934, and used it through 1963. The site includes a rustic two-room log house, with three rooms added during Art Stamper’s lifetime, including a kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. While the front two rooms are log walled, the back two rooms have wood plank walls, and the bathroom is concrete block. Currently, the main four rooms are covered with a rolled siding material similar to asphalt sheeting, which was installed in the late 1960s, and the roof has been replaced. The nomination also includes a barn, thought to have been built by Hiram Stamper. It is being evaluated within the historic context “Old-Time Fiddle Music in Southeast Kentucky, 1900-1970.”
Churchill Weavers, 100 Churchill Drive, Berea; authored by Sheri Miller and Dee West of Millstone LLC – Consisting of two buildings – a large, multi-function factory constructed in five portions from 1922-40, and a separate building originally used as a wood shop. Churchill Weavers was founded by David Carroll Churchill and his wife, Eleanor, in 1922, “after the engineering of a new fly-shuttle loom by D.C. Churchill,” noted the authors. “He applied engineering skills to the mechanical process of weaving, a tradition-bound craft. Churchill constructed better and more efficient hand looms while working as a missionary in India, years before he founded Churchill Weavers… then found an area in the United States to do the same…” Among other things, he also invented the first retractable landing gear used by the Army in World War I, wing covers to help keep planes from being grounded due to ice during World War II, and anti-thermal coveralls worn by the first astronauts. Churchill Weavers operated through 2007. The site is nominated under both Criterion A, for its significant association with the arts and crafts industry of Berea, and Criterion B, significant because of Churchill’s inventions. It is interpreted within the context, “Craft Productions in Berea, 1900-1960.”
Norfolk Farm Tenant Log House, 600 Log House Lane, Bedford vicinity; authored by Anna Maas, architectural historian – Built circa 1850, the original form of this 1½-story structure is a “dogtrot” typical in antebellum Kentucky, originally composed of two square log pens separated by an open space on the first floor. Two limestone block chimneys are situated at each end of the house, which has undergone major changes, with the original, early kitchen connected to the house during a 2002 addition. The house had been sheathed in weatherboard and the dogtrot enclosed; the sheathing was removed in 1984 after “appreciation and nostalgia for log construction reemerged,” the author noted, adding, “The repair, alterations, and additions appear to meet the Secretary of the Interior Standards because they made the house compatible for modern living ‘while preserving those portions or features which convey its historical, cultural, or architectural values.’ ” The house is nominated under Criterion C, as it retains distinctive characteristics of Kentucky folk architecture as represented in the rehabilitated dogtrot. Its significance is interpreted within the context “Log Houses in Trimble County, 1780-1860.”