Kentucky Historical Society
Kentucky Historical Society to Dedicate Local Highway Marker
FRANKFORT, Ky. – The Kentucky Historical Society will dedicate a historical highway marker in honor of the Clark County Courthouse on Saturday, July 5, at 10:30 a.m. ET located at 34 South Main Street in Winchester.
Clark County, named in honor of Revolutionary War hero General George Rogers Clark, was created in 1792. A two-room log cabin courthouse was built in 1794 on land donated by John Baker. The building was later replaced in 1797 and then again in 1821. The third courthouse was where Henry Clay argued his last case before a jury. The present courthouse, designed by noted Lexington architect Jon McMurty, was completed in 1855. The building was later expanded in 1938 by the addition of a rear block.
The Kentucky Historical Highway Marker Program, administered by the Kentucky Historical Society in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events, and personalities throughout the commonwealth.
Through the program, the wealth of history which is Kentucky's past is made accessible to the public as they travel along the state's roadways on markers which stimulate an interest in the history of local communities. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Vittetow, Kentucky Historical Highway Marker Program Coordinator, by phone at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, since 1836, has provided connections to the past, perspective on the present, and inspiration for the future. KHS operates the Old State Capitol, the Kentucky Military History Museum, and its headquarters, the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History. Since 1999, the thirty-million-dollar Center has welcomed more than one million visitors. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit the Web site.