FRANKFORT, Ky. (September 29, 2004) – The Kentucky Historical Highway Marker Program, administered by the Kentucky Historical Society in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historic sites, events and personalities throughout the Commonwealth. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky's past is made accessible to the public as they travel along the state's roadways. The plaques are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists.
During October, three new markers will be dedicated in Greenville and Bowling Green. They include:
George Short House and George W. Short
Friday, October 8, , 151 S. Main Street, Greenville, Kentucky (MuhlenbergCounty)
Built in 1841, this is one of the oldest homes in Greenville. In 1980, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Materials for the house and its detailed interior woodwork came by flatboats from Cincinnati. George Short (1805-1849), a prominent businessman, tobacconist, and a state legislator, had the house built for Tabitha A. Brank in hopes shewould marry him, but she refused. Tabitha was the daughter of Ephraim M. Brank, hero in War of 1812. Short gave the house to his sister, Susan Ann Short Harbin. Her children became civic leaders and benefactors of the Harbin Memorial Library. Marker presented in memory of Hugh Alexander (Lex) Walters.
First Presbyterian Church
Sunday, October 10, , 158 S. Main Street, Greenville, Kentucky (MuhlenbergCounty)
The church was established in 1804 on land given by early Presbyterians Colonel. and Mrs. William
Campbell.This Gothic-Revival structure was initiated in 1873 and was as dedicated on July 19, 1885, on
South Main St. Rev. Robert G. Brank, grandson of church founder Col. Campbell, performed the
dedication. Bricks were made by John Barkley on his farm.
Thursday, October 21, , 201 State Street, Bowling Green, Kentucky (WarrenCounty)
This African American community was founded in the 1800s. Shake Rag is a reminder of progress residents made despite social and economic hardship. Bordered by the river and High,
Ky., and 7th Sts., the area grew to include hundreds of residents, two schools, businesses, and churches. The architecture of Shake Rag shows a growing middle-class community. The lives of residents revolved around church, school, and family activities. The congregation that became State St. Baptist was organized in 1838. State St. School was founded in 1883, and the CarverCenter began in 1946. The Southern Queen Hotel served black travelers. Marker presented by City of Bowling Green
To submit a marker request, click here to download the Marker Application Package (PDF format - 427.3 KB).For more information about about the marker program, contact Amy Crittenden at (502) 564-1792, ext. 4435 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kentucky Historical Society, since 1836, has provided connections to the past, perspective on the present and inspiration for the future. KHS operates the Old State Capitol, KentuckyMilitaryHistoryMuseum and its five-year-old headquarters, the KentuckyHistoryCenter. Since 1999, the thirty-million dollar HistoryCenter has welcomed almost one million visitors. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit the Web at http://history.ky.gov or call (502) 564-1792.