Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Douglas Park Racetrack in Louisville
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Nov. 8, 2010)— The Kentucky Historical Society will dedicate a historical marker to honor the Douglas Park Racetrack at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 14 at the corner of 2nd Street and Kenwood Way in Louisville, Ky.
Developed and owned by Col. Jim Douglas, Douglas Park opened in 1895 as a trotting track. In 1906, it changed to a racing venue and directly competed for business with Churchill Downs. From 1912-1918 the Racetrack received national attention for being the home of Kentucky Handicap. In 1919, the track became part of the Kentucky Jockey Club and was controlled by Churchill Downs. It remained under Churchill Downs’ control until its closing in 1958.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by the Kentucky Historical Society in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the Old State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit the website at www.history.ky.gov.