Kentucky Historical Society
Churchill Weavers Exhibition to Close on Saturday
There is still time to see Magic in the Weaving: The Churchill Weavers Collection Revealed at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History. The exhibition closes Saturday, September 6, 2008.
Churchill Weavers, founded in 1922 by Eleanor and D. Carroll Churchill, operated in Berea until 2007. The company was one of the most important hand-weaving operations in the United States and supplied high-end, high-quality products coast to coast and internationally. In addition, the company provided a rare opportunity for female artisans to work outside the home and employed hundreds of men and women during its 85 years of operation.
With generous support from the Cralle Foundation, Inc., the Kentucky Historical Society purchased the Churchill Weavers collection in May 2007 from Lila Bellando, who managed the company with her husband, Richard Bellando, from 1973 to 1996.
Magic in the Weaving features products, patterns, and tools from the company, including artifacts such as a warp mill, creel, images and product advertisements, and product samples. The exhibition also chronicles the history of the company and the story of its founders.
Limited items from the Churchill Weavers collection are available for purchase at the KHS Stewart Home School 1792 Store.
This preservation exhibition is located in the Keeneland Changing Exhibits Gallery at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History in Frankfort. To find out more about the exhibition or about the Kentucky Historical Society, visit www.history.ky.gov, or call 502-564-1792.