FRANKFORT, Ky. (October 27, 2004) – A historical marker recognizing the University of Kentucky’s Main Building was unveiled by President Lee Todd as part of the dedication of the restored building on Monday, October 25.
The marker, given by members of UK’s Senior Class of 2004, offers perspective on the heritage of the 122-year-old building, which was gutted by fire in May 2001 and has only this week been reopened following a $17.35-million restoration.
Since 1994, historical markers at significant sites on the UK campus have been provided as a gift from each senior class as part of the University of Kentucky’s Senior Development Council’s Senior Challenge program. The Main Building marker is the 11th dedicated on the campus as part of this program.
Other markers on the campus given by previous senior classes include:
Class of 2003: Patterson Hall
Class of 2002: Memorial Hall
Class of 2001: Barker Hall/Buell Armory
Class of 2000: Maxwell Place
Class of 1999: Lyman T. Johnson
Class of 1998: Scovell Hall
Class of 1997: Sara Blanding
Class of 1996: Gillis Building
Class of 1995: WBKY/WUKY
Class of 1994: Miller Hall
An agency of the Commerce Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, since 1836, has provided connections to the past, perspective on the present, and inspiration for the future. KHS operates the Old State Capitol, Kentucky Military History Museum and its five-year-old headquarters, the Kentucky History Center. Since 1999, the thirty-million-dollar History Center has welcomed almost one million visitors. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit the Web site at http://history.ky.gov or call (502) 564-1792.