Kentucky Historical Society
Kentucky Historical Society to Dedicate Highway Marker in Midway
The Kentucky Historical Society will dedicate an historical highway marker at St. Matthew African Methodist Episcopal Church in Midway, September 27 at 5 p.m.
The lot for the first St. Matthew A.M.E. Church building was purchased in 1854, and the church was established in 1860. It served as a recruitment office during the Civil War. The church that now stands on South Winter Street was built in 1892.
The Kentucky Historical Highway Marker Program, administered by the Kentucky Historical Society in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events, and personalities throughout the commonwealth.
Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public as they travel along the state's roadways on markers which stimulate an interest in the history of local communities. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Vittetow, Kentucky Historical Highway Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474.