Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Two Historical Markers in Louisville
FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 4, 2012) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate two new historical markers at separate ceremonies this month in downtown Louisville. A marker honoring the Brennan House will be dedicated at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at 631 S. 5th St. A marker honoring architects Charles Julian Clarke and Arthur Loomis and the Levy Building will be dedicated at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 20, at 235 W. Market St.
The Brennan House was built in the Italianate style by tobacco merchant Francis S. J. Ronald in 1868. It was named for the Thomas Brennan family, who lived there from 1884-1969. A native of Ireland and an inventor, he and his wife, Anna, raised eight children in the house. In 1912, an office wing in a Renaissance style was added for their son, Dr. John Brennan. He lived there until his death in 1963.
Architects Charles Julian Clarke (1836-1908) of Frankfort and Arthur Loomis (1858-1935) of Jeffersonville, Ind., designed the Levy Building in Richardsonian Romanesque style. It opened in 1893 and originally housed Levy Brothers Clothing Store, which closed in 1979. Because the building was outlined with electric lights, the phrase “lit up like Levy’s” became a popular expression describing bright, nighttime illumination. Clarke and Loomis collaborated on many Louisville landmarks including Carter Dry Goods, Conrad-Caldwell House and the Old Medical School. Clarke died while serving as first president of the Kentucky Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Loomis fulfilled his term and went on to design the Speed Art Museum in 1925. This historical marker is sponsored by Edith S. Bingham and the American Institute of Architects, Central Kentucky Chapter.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at www.history.ky.gov.
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.