Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor the Guthrie Building
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 31, 2011) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor the Guthrie Building at 9 a.m. CST Friday, Nov. 11, at 517 Broadway in Paducah.
Established in 1897, the Guthrie Building is also known as the Fraternity Building. During World War II, it was home of the Paducah-McCracken County Draft Board. Nearly 5,000 men and women from the Paducah area served in the war. In 2002, the Guthrie Building was designated a Kentucky Landmark and is now used as an office building.
This historical marker is dedicated to veterans by Chester “Bill” Hack.
Dr. Mike Perry of Paducah currently owns the Guthrie Building. Following the 11 a.m. Veterans Day parade, he invites all veterans to a free lunch at the nearby Paducah Elks Lodge #217 at 410 North Fourth St.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.