Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Leonard Knott Homestead
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Sept. 13, 2011) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor the Leonard Knott Homestead at noon Saturday, Sept. 17, at 9964 State Route 144 in Knottsville.
In 1795, James Knott emigrated from Maryland to Cox’s Creek Settlement in Nelson County, as part of the "League of Catholic Families.” Born in 1797, his son Leonard married Mary M. Drury and moved to Daviess County in 1826. The following year, Leonard Knott built the first house in what would become Knottsville. James Millay named the town in 1833 when he opened a store and post office nearby. In 1834, the name was officially set by Kentucky legislator William R. Griffith, and the town was formally laid out by Millay and Griffith in 1836.
This marker is dedicated to the people of Knottsville in memory of Leonard and Mary Knott.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit the website at www.history.ky.gov.