Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Highland Mothers Club
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Nov. 21, 2011) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor the Highland Mothers Club at 11 a.m. Monday, Dec. 5, at 1400 Cherokee Road in Louisville.
Mary Katherine Lee, a pioneer kindergarten teacher in the Highlands neighborhood, recognized the importance of close cooperation between the home and school. In April 1905, she called together the mothers of children in her charge, leading to the organization of the Highland Mothers Club. The group first met in their homes and later at Douglas Boulevard Christian Church, before the first local Parent Teacher Associations were organized. They studied and educated each other in new theories of child development. The club continues to support charitable causes, child welfare and civic initiatives.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or email@example.com.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.