Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Bullitsburg Baptist Church
FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 24, 2012) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor an early northern Kentucky church at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 3, at 2616 Bullitsburg Church Road in Petersburg.
Bullitsburg Baptist Church was organized in June 1794, by elders Joseph Redding and John Taylor, as the Great Bend of the Ohio Church. By August 1796, it had become known as Bullitsburg Baptist Church. Most of the charter members were from Clear Creek Baptist Church near Versailles. Bullitsburg Baptist has been called a “Mother Church,” because from 1800-1915 its members organized several other churches in the region. Its present sanctuary was built in 1819, and between 1871 and 1873, an outdoor keyhole baptismal pool was built of stone masonry at the site of a natural spring.
Bullitsburg Baptist Church invites dedication ceremony attendees to the 10:30 a.m. worship service and a noon lunch prior to the 2 p.m. marker dedication.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at www.history.ky.gov.
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or email@example.com.
-30-An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.