Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker in Louisville
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 11, 2012) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor Southern Parkway and Iroquois Park, at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 24, at the corner of Southern Parkway and New Cut Road in Louisville.
Southern Parkway was completed June 14, 1893. Originally named Grand Boulevard, it was constructed of packed dirt and watered daily to keep down dust. It was flanked to the east with a bicycle path and to the west with a bridle path. Southern Parkway was intended to connect the growing city of Louisville with Iroquois Park to south.
Iroquois Park, a 725-acre park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, is the largest in the Louisville Olmsted Park system. It was originally named Jacob’s Park, after Louisville Mayor Charles Jacob.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at www.history.ky.gov/markers.
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or email@example.com.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.