Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker for Anderson Ferry, 1937 Flood in Boone County
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 20, 2013) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to commemorate the Anderson Ferry and the 1937 flood at 3 p.m. Sunday, June 23, at 4030 River Road in the Boone County community of Constance, near Hebron.
The ferry was founded in the early 1800s and purchased by George Anderson in 1817. It served as a link between Boone County and southwestern Ohio. A stone inn and tavern once stood at the ferry landing. The Anderson Ferry was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
During the 1937 flood, the Ohio River reached its peak Jan. 26, surpassing the 1884 record. The river community of Constance was among the hardest hit in Boone County, but there were no fatalities. Many houses were totally destroyed and displaced residents were sheltered in the town school.
This marker is sponsored by the Boone County Historical Society.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, tells Kentucky’s story through the people, places and events that have shaped local communities across the Commonwealth. These markers highlight the importance of place in Kentucky’s collective history, in order to build strong communities for the future. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that make connections between history, place and historical evidence housed in the Commonwealth’s many historical organizations. Through the program, Kentucky’s history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways; online at www.history.ky.gov/markers and via the Explore Kentucky History smartphone application available free at iTunes and Google Play.
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history by providing connections to the past, perspective on the present and inspiration for the future. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov