Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker Honoring Tompkinsville National Cemetery
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 26, 2012) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor Tompkinsville National Cemetery at 2 p.m. Monday, July 9, at the corner of Second and Emberton streets in Tompkinsville.
In 1861, during the Civil War, Monroe County land was donated by local citizen J. B. Evans for burial of Union soldiers. By end of the war, it contained 115 troops who died in the region. Due to its small size and limited accessibility, the federal government ordered most soldiers moved to Nashville National Cemetery in 1867. With five graves left, it became public and was no longer a national cemetery. Today it is commonly known as “The Old Soldiers Cemetery.”
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at www.history.ky.gov/markers.
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or email@example.com.
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.