Kentucky Historical Society
July 9 "Hats Off to History" Celebrates Renaming of Kentucky History Center, Clark's 102nd Birthday
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 8, 2005) – On Saturday, July 9, the Kentucky Historical Society will host “Hats Off to Kentucky History,” a public unveiling of a new name for its 160,000-square-foot, five-year-old Frankfort headquarters, formerly known as the Kentucky History Center. The facility will now carry the name of Kentucky Historian Laureate Dr. Thomas D. Clark, who celebrates his 102nd birthday in July. In March 2005, the Kentucky General Assembly voted to rename the Kentucky Historical Society’s headquarters for Dr. Clark.
Free and open to the public, the day will feature Dr. Clark’s 102nd birthday celebration and a full schedule of programs featuring the best of Kentucky history. Traditional Kentucky music, food, children and family programs, and a panel of former Kentucky governors discussing the future of the commonwealth are among the offerings on the Kentucky Historical Society’s campus in downtown Frankfort.
Complimentary admission to the Kentucky Historical Society’s museums and exhibits is included throughout the day. Visitors may tour Kentucky Historical Society museums and exhibits, including the 30,000-square-foot “A Kentucky Journey,” “A River Runs through Us,” the Old State Capitol, and the Kentucky Military History Museum.
“Dr. Clark is a tireless champion for Kentucky history,” notes Kentucky Historical Society executive director, Kent Whitworth. ”It is an honor for us that the General Assembly and Governor Fletcher chose to link the name of the state’s historian laureate with our institution. The Kentucky Historical Society and Dr. Clark share a tradition of commitment, advocacy and action of behalf of Kentucky history. His life illustrates the best of the Kentucky Historical Society’s 170-year-long mission of providing connections to the past, perspective on the present and inspiration for the future.”
Dr. Clark spent his career in Kentucky education--teaching, preserving, and interpreting the commonwealth’s history. A professor at the University of Kentucky from 1935 to 1968, he taught hundreds of Kentuckians to cherish—and connect with — Kentucky’s past. A prolific author, he has written more than thirty books, including A History of Kentucky, Simon Kenton: Kentucky Scout, and Agrarian Kentucky.
For more information about the “Hats Off to History” celebration, visit the KHS Web site at www.history.ky.gov or call 502-564-1792 ext. 4486.
An agency of the Kentucky Commerce Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, since 1836, has provided connections to the past, perspective on the present and inspiration for the future. KHS operates the Old State Capitol, Kentucky Military History Museum and its five-year-old headquarters, the Kentucky History Center. Since 1999, the thirty-million-dollar History Center has welcomed almost one million visitors. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit the Web at http://history.ky.gov or call (502) 564-1792.