Kentucky Historical Society - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Kentucky Oral History Commission Accepts Grant Applications
Thursday, February 05, 2015
The Kentucky Oral History Commission (KOHC) is accepting grant applications to help fund oral history projects on topics of significance to Kentucky or transcription and indexing of existing oral history interviews.
- KHS Event Seeks Information on Early 20th Century State Government
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
The Kentucky Historical Society asks people with knowledge of early 20th-century state government to attend a knowledge-sharing event Wednesday, Feb. 4, in the Kentucky State Capitol Rotunda.
- Kentucky Historical Society Foundation names new fundraising leader
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Robert Micou is joining the Kentucky Historical Society Foundation (KHSF) as chief advancement officer, where he will lead the foundation’s fundraising efforts on behalf of the Kentucky Historical Society.
- Kentucky Historical Society Announces New Year-Round Schedule
Tuesday, December 02, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) has announced a new schedule that expands the hours during which visitors can enjoy exhibitions and activities at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History in downtown Frankfort. Beginning Dec. 16, the center’s main floor public areas will remain open year-round, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, with extended hours on Thursdays until 8 p.m. during the high-season visitor period of mid March to mid December.
- KHS Seeks Information on Bourbon Distilling for Photographic Collections
Monday, November 17, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) invites people with knowledge of the Kentucky bourbon industry to an open house Saturday, Nov. 29, to view photos featuring various distilleries and the distilling process and share information about them.
- Historical Marker Celebrates Lexington’s First Municipal Airport
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a new historical marker that celebrates Lexington’s first municipal airport, Monday, Nov. 17, at 10 a.m. at Boiling Springs Drive and Leestown Road in Lexington.
- Kentucky Military History Museum Offers Free Admission on Veterans Day
Thursday, November 06, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will commemorate Veterans Day on Nov. 11 with several events to honor Kentucky veterans and active duty service personnel. They include free admission to the Kentucky Military History Museum (KMHM) and the debut of three new interactive exhibits.
- Kentucky Historical Society Announces Kentucky History Award Winners
Tuesday, November 04, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) this week will present the 2014 Kentucky History Awards to people, communities and organizations across the commonwealth who have shown a consistent effort to promote the preservation and appreciation of state and local history.
- Historical Markers Honor Evan Williams, Louisville Fairgrounds
Friday, October 31, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society will dedicate two historical markers in Louisville to honor the bourbon distiller and community leader Evan Williams and identify the site of a mid-19th century fairground.
- Retired editor of Kentucky Historical Society’s ‘Register’ to receive public service award
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
The Kentucky State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB) has awarded Russell Harris a 2014 Kentucky Archives Month Certificate of Merit for “Notable Service to and Advocacy for Archives in Kentucky” by a public official. Harris is former senior associate editor of the Register of the Kentucky Historical Society.
- Historical Marker Celebrates Aviation and Thoroughbred Industry
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society will dedicate a new historical marker Monday, Nov. 3, at 10 a.m. in front of Fasig-Tipton, 2400 Newtown Pike, Lexington. It tells two stories, that of Lexington’s second municipal airport, Glengarry Field, and that of Fasig-Tipton, North America’s oldest Thoroughbred auction company.
- KHS Invites Public to Share Knowledge about Frankfort Photographs
Monday, October 13, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) invites people with knowledge of early 20th-century Frankfort to an open house Saturday, Oct. 25, from 2 to 4 p.m. to see photographs by John J. King and help identify the people and places in them.
- History of Christ Lutheran Church Subject of New Marker in Louisville
Friday, October 10, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will unveil a new historical marker Sunday, Oct. 26, at Christ Lutheran Church, 9212 Taylorsville Road, Louisville.
- Historical Marker to Note Greensburg Educator, Lincoln Friend
Thursday, October 09, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will unveil a historical marker Friday, Oct. 24, in Greensburg, to commemorate the life of William Mentor Graham, an early 19th century educator who taught Abraham Lincoln.
- Writers’ impact on sustainable agriculture earns 2014 KOHC oral history grant
Tuesday, October 07, 2014
A series of oral interviews on how Kentucky’s agrarian tradition in literature has impacted today’s sustainable agriculture movement is among the recipients of the 2014 Kentucky Oral History Commission (KOHC) grant awards.
- KHS to Unveil Historical Marker Noting Civil War-era Site in Pulaski County
Monday, October 06, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a new historical marker Friday, Oct. 17 for the Smith W. Cain store in Pulaski County.
- New Historical Marker Honors Music Career of Louis ‘Grandpa’ Jones
Friday, October 03, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will unveil a new historical marker Saturday, Oct. 18, to commemorate the birthplace and 70-year music career of Louis “Grandpa” Jones. The 2 p.m. CDT event will be at 15979 Highway 136 East in Robards.
- New Historical Marker Notes Significance of Louisville Site
Friday, September 26, 2014
The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will unveil a new historical marker at 2 p.m. EDT Sunday, Oct. 12, at 2227 Bashford Manor Lane in Louisville.
- IMLS Grant to Help KHS Boost Collections Accessibility
Monday, September 22, 2014
The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) has awarded $149,060 to the Kentucky Historical Society.
- KHS Publishes Second Volume of Unique Civil War Diary
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
The fall issue of the Register of the Kentucky Historical Society makes available the second volume of the Civil War diary of Bowling Green native Josie Underwood.