Governor Steve Beshear's Communications Office
162,000 Kentuckians Enrolled in Health Insurance Thanks to kynect
Private health plans make up 25 percent of enrollments
FRANKFORT, Ky. – Signups for affordable health insurance are not only going strong in the Commonwealth – they are accelerating. More than 162,000 Kentuckians are now enrolled in new health coverage, or an average of 1,500 per day. That’s even faster than the initial rate last fall of 1,000 signups per day.
kynect administrators report that the website consistently supports 2,000 concurrent users during heaviest usage times.
One out of every 4 kynect signups is for private health insurance.
kynect administrators strongly encourage those who have enrolled in private insurance plans desiring a Jan. 1 effective date but have not paid their first premiums to do so as soon as possible. However, open enrollment continues through March 31 for any Kentuckian seeking health insurance.
kynect has been hailed as a national model since its launch for its smooth operation and easy interface for users looking for affordable health coverage.
Information for newly insured
If you began the process of signing up for coverage on or before Dec. 23 and selected a plan but haven’t yet received your insurance cards in the mail, don’t worry. Insurers are processing a high volume of new enrollments. To verify coverage with your insurer, go to your kynect account. On the dashboard, click “View Details”, then “Future Enrollments” to get your Enrollment ID Number.
Providing your kynect Enrollment ID Number to your insurance provider will assist issuers in locating new enrollees in their systems. Welcome packets and invoices should arrive soon for people who signed up in the past several weeks.
Weekly statistics report
The below statistics reflect activity on kynect as of 9 a.m. Friday, Jan. 17:
- 890,896 unique visitors viewing more than 30 million web pages
- 606,455 preliminary screenings
- 162,099 Kentuckians are enrolled in new health coverage, including Medicaid and private insurance
- 122,328 have enrolled in Medicaid
- 39,771 have enrolled in a qualified health plan
- 48,476 have been found eligible for a subsidy to purchase a qualified health plan, but some have yet to select a plan
- Nearly 44 percent of the total enrollees (Medicaid or qualified health plans) are under 35 years old, and nearly 32 percent of enrollees in private health plans are under 35
- 12,712 enrolled in standalone dental plans
- 1,336 small businesses have started applications for employee coverage, and 537 of those businesses have completed applications and are eligible to offer coverage to employees.
- 395,559 calls handled by the kynect contact center, an average of more than 3,600 per day.
For further updates on kynect numbers, visit governor.ky.gov/healthierky. Statistics will be updated there regularly.