First Lady's Office - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Announces Dawson Springs as Kentucky’s first ‘Trail Town’
Thursday, May 09, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today announced that the community of Dawson Springs is Kentucky’s first “Trail Town,” part of an effort to promote and develop adventure tourism opportunities across the state.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Joins Thousands of World Book Givers Across the Country to Help Promote Reading
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
As part of the 2nd Annual United States World Book Night, First Lady Jane Beshear today visited the Fayette Regional Juvenile Detention Center in Lexington to share her love of reading and hand out books. Mrs. Beshear joined more than 25,000 volunteers from across America to put great books in the hands of new or reluctant readers.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Announces Explorer and Author Tori Murden-McClure as Keynote Speaker for 16th Celebration of Hope
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today announced that noted explorer and author Tori Murden-McClure will be the keynote speaker for the 16th Annual Celebration of Hope, an event to honor breast cancer survivors and promote awareness. This year’s celebration will be held on Wednesday, May 1 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Welcomes First Electric Vehicles to State Fleet
Monday, April 22, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear welcomed the first electric vehicles into the state vehicle fleet today in a ceremony that kicked off a day of Earth Day activities. Energy and Environment Cabinet Secretary Len Peters and Finance and Administration Cabinet Lori H. Flanery joined the First Lady in the ribbon-cutting.
- Kentucky State Government, First Lady Celebrate Earth Day with Educational Exhibits, Schools Recognition Event
Monday, April 22, 2013
On the nation’s 43rd annual Earth Day, the Office of the First Lady, the Energy and Environment Cabinet and the Kentucky Environmental Education Council teamed up today to celebrate by highlighting efforts within Kentucky to educate students and citizens about the environment and the value of energy efficiency.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Hosts Sixth-Annual ‘Horses and Hope Race Day’ at Keeneland
Sunday, April 14, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today attended Keeneland’s Sixth-Annual “Horses and Hope Breast Cancer Race Day” as part of her continued efforts to raise breast cancer awareness and honor breast cancer survivors.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Joins Thousands of Central Kentucky Fourth-Graders to Kick-off Literacy Celebration Week
Friday, March 01, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today joined more than 4,000 fourth-graders from across Central Kentucky for the inaugural “Feed the Mind - Kentucky” event at Rupp Arena to celebrate and promote reading and literacy throughout the Commonwealth. The event kicks-off Kentucky’s Third Annual Literacy Celebration Week, March 4-8.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Announces Reading List for the Kentucky Literacy Celebration
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
As a part of her ongoing reading recommendations initiative, First Lady Jane Beshear today announced a special reading list for the Third Annual Kentucky Literacy Celebration, March 4–8.
- Gov. Beshear, First Lady Announce Grand Opening of Capitol Education Center
Friday, February 08, 2013
Governor Steve Beshear and First Lady Jane Beshear today announced the opening of the Capitol Education Center, a new “green” learning facility for students and visitors at the Capitol Campus in Frankfort. The former heating and cooling facility had been dormant until its renovation into a visitors’ destination.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Announces More Than $500,000 Raised on ‘Shop & Share Day’
Tuesday, February 05, 2013
Surrounded by donated items stacked in the Capitol Rotunda, First Lady Jane Beshear today announced the successful outcome of Shop & Share Day, a one-day drive to provide domestic violence shelters with needed goods.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Encourages Kentuckians to Volunteer for Annual ‘Shop & Share’ Day on Feb. 2
Wednesday, January 09, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear is encouraging Kentuckians to volunteer and participate in the 5th Annual “Shop & Share” day, a one-day goods drive to benefit domestic violence shelters across the state. The drive will be held at Kentucky Kroger and Food City stores on the Saturday of Super Bowl weekend, Feb. 2, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- First Lady Jane Beshear Announces Scholastic Book Donation, Asks Kentuckians to ‘Give the Gift of Reading This Holiday Season’
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
During a visit to the Family Scholar House, First Lady Jane Beshear today announced that Scholastic has donated 500 books to Kentucky children as part of its “Give the Gift of Reading This Holiday Season” campaign.
- First Lady Jane Beshear encourages Kentuckians to support local businesses, buy Kentucky products during the holidays
Thursday, November 29, 2012
First Lady Jane Beshear is encouraging Kentuckians to support local businesses and buy Kentucky products this holiday season. To show her support, Mrs. Beshear today presented a proclamation at the Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea declaring December “Give a Gift Made In Kentucky” Month.