Finance and Administration Cabinet
State Seeking Donation for Commonwealth Holiday Tree
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 27, 2009). — The Commonwealth of Kentucky is looking for a property owner who is willing to donate a tree that will stand in front of the State Capitol as the Commonwealth Holiday tree. The tree will be decorated and lit during a ceremony the first week of December.
The Frankfort Plant Board (FPB) will remove the selected tree and provide stump grinding during the last week of November at no cost to the landowner. Wilson’s Nurseries of Frankfort will donate a replacement tree that will be planted during the appropriate season. The individual or family that donates the tree will be recognized at the tree lighting ceremony held at the Capitol.
To be considered, trees must meet the following guidelines:
- Have a pyramid shape with fullness, especially at the bottom;
- Be between 35 to 50 feet tall;
- Have few or no holes in the body of the tree;
- Should not be growing into a house or another tree;
- Access must be provided with clearance of at least 10 feet in width with no power lines growing into the tree;
- No other obstacles, such as buildings, should prevent access to the tree; and
- FPB must be able to back a low-boy trailer up to the tree in order to load and haul it away.
Qualified owners interested in donating a tree should call (502) 564-5500. The owner of the selected tree will be contacted with details for the removal.