Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet
Communities receive Firewise grants
FRANKFORT, Ky. (Aug. 23, 2005) – The Kentucky Division of Forestry, in conjunction with the USDA Forest Service, today announced that eight communities and fire departments have been awarded Kentucky Firewise Community Grants totaling $300,282.
Grant recipients are:
- Cumberland Valley Resource Conservation and Development Council, $48,500
- Wayne County Fiscal Court, $24,000
- McCreary County, $49,000
- Route 504 Fire Department in Elliott County, $26,675
- Estill County Fiscal Court, $40,000
- Team Taylor County, $37,000
- Lincoln County Fiscal Court, $25,207
- Eastern Morgan County, $49,900
Firewise grants are awarded for projects designed to reduce wildfire risks and hazards in “interface areas” where urban development meets wild lands. Examples of projects include development of local Firewise councils or boards, completion of a community wildfire hazard assessment, GIS mapping and Firewise educational activities and materials.
Communities are selected for funding based on level of risk, establishment of a local Firewise council or board, and type of project submitted. Grant recipients must provide a 20 percent match. For more information, contact the Division of Forestry at 502-564-4496 or visit the Kentucky Firewise Web site at www.firewise.ky.gov