Health and Family Services Cabinet
Update to Local Pandemic Flu Summits Scheduled Across Kentucky
Statewide News Release Contact: Gwenda Bond or Barbara Fox
Update to Local Pandemic Flu Summits Scheduled Across Kentucky
Local planning essential to address global threat of pandemic flu
FRANKFORT, Ky. (March 17, 2006) – The Kentucky Department for Public Health (DPH) has announced an update to local pandemic flu summits scheduled statewide to address pandemic flu preparedness.
In-state summits are designed to help public health and emergency response communities to inform and involve political, economic and community leadership in the state’s pandemic planning process.
According to the federal Department for Health and Human Services, pandemic flu is virulent flu that causes a global outbreak, or pandemic, of serious illness. Currently, there is no pandemic flu.
The following local pandemic summits have been scheduled:
· Stanford: March 21, -, Lincoln County Cooperative Extension Service, 104 Metker Trail (contact Diane Miller, Lincoln County Health Department, 606-365-3106).
· Sparta: March 21, , Kentucky Speedway Bluegrass Hall, Highway 35 (contact Diane Coleman, Three Rivers District Health Department, 502-484-3412).
· Lexington: March 24, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Marriott Griffin Gate Resort, 1800 Newtown Pike (contact Dana Sizemore, Lexington-Fayette County Health Department, 859-288-2300).
· Morehead: April 4, , Carl Perkins Building, 1300 Divide Hill Drive (contact Sandra Glover, Gateway District Health Department, 606-674-6396).
· Hazard: April 4, -, Hal Rogers Center, 101 Bulldog Lane (contact Tracy Pinson, Kentucky River District Health Department, 606-668-3333).
· Hopkinsville: April 4, (CST), Hopkinsville Community College, 720 North Drive (contact Jeremy Jernigan, Christian County Health Department, 270-887-4160).
· Prestonsburg: April 6, , Floyd County Health Department, 283 Goble St. (contact Jane Bond/Thursa Sloan, Floyd County Health Department, 606-886-2788).
· Winchester: April 10, , Winchester Police Department Training Room, 16 South Maple St. (contact Robert Tipton, Clark County Health Department, 859-745-4644).
· Cynthiana: April 11, , Harrison County Health Center, 364 Oddville Ave. (contact Gary Stone, WEDCO District Health Department, 859-234-8750).
· Somerset: April 12, , The Center for Rural Development, 2292 South Highway 27, Suite 300 (contact Daniel Bell, Lake Cumberland District Health Department, 606-678-4761).
· Inez: April 13, , Roy F. Collier Community Center, 1200 Main St. (contact Geneva Wallen/Carol Holbrook, Martin County Health Department, 606-298-7752).
· Frankfort: April 18, , Franklin County Health Department, 851 East-West Connector (contact Wil King, Franklin County Health Department, 502-564-9336).
· Gilbertsville: April 18, , Kentucky Dam Village, 166 Upper Village Drive (contact Alison Beshear, Marshall County Health Department, 270-252-2702).
· Gilbertsville: April 18, , Kentucky Dam Village, 166 Upper Village Drive (contact Kathie Hunt, Purchase District Health Department, 270-247-1490).
· Shepherdsville: April 19, -, Paroquet Springs Conference Center, 395 Paroquet Springs Drive (contact Ruby Morris, Bullitt County Health Department, 502-955-5930).
· Paintsville: April 24, , Ramada Inn of Paintsville, 624 James S. Trimble Blvd. (contact Sharon Green, Johnson County Health Department, 606-349-6212).
· Pikeville: April 24, , Pikeville College, 147 Sycamore St. (contact Jodi Jarecke, Pike County Health Department, 606-437-5500).
· Jackson: April 25, , Breathitt County Life Skills Center, 1127 East Main St. (contact Jarrod Crase, Breathitt County Health Department, 606-666-7755).
· Salyersville: April 26, -, Magoffin County Teen Scene, Ky. 7, corner of Hornet Drive (contact Kathy Hembree, Magoffin County Health Department, 606-349-6212).
· Louisa: April 26, , Lawrence County Community Center, 100 Bulldog Lane (contact Dr. Ronald Enders, Lawrence County Health Department, 606-638-4389).
· Hardinsburg: April 28, 9 a.m.-noon (CST), Kentucky Future Farmers of America (FFA) Leadership Center, 111 FFA Camp Road (contact Bethany Shelton, Breckenridge County Health Department, 270-756-2282).
· London: May 2, , London Community Center, 529 South Main St. (contact Kathy Fields, Cumberland Valley District Health Department, 606-864-4764).
· Scottsville: May 2, , Scottsville Church of Christ, 1379 Smiths Grove Road (contact Harold Kelley, Allen County Health Department, 270-237-4423).
· Richmond: May 3, , Perkins Building, Eastern Kentucky University (contact Carol Gilliam, Madison County Health Department, 859-626-4259).
· St. Catharine: May 4, , St. Catharine College, 2735 Bardstown Road (contact Sara Jo Best, Lincoln Trail District Health Department, 270-769-1608).
· Louisville: May 8, , focus groups meet after summit from 2:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m., Walnut St. Baptist Church, 1101 S. Third (contact Bill Wetter, Louisville Metro Health Department, 502-574-6648).
· Bowling Green: May 9, - (CST), Hillvue Heights Church, 3219 Nashville Road (contact Amanda Bogard, Barren River District Health Department, 270-781-8039).
· Greenville: May 11, , First Baptist Church, 145 S. Main St. (contact Joseph Bean, Muhlenberg County Health Department, 270-754-3200 or Leslie Daniels, Todd County Health Department, 270-265-2362).
· Glasgow: May 18, (CST), Calvary Baptist Church, 307 Columbia Ave. (contact Amanda Bogard, Barren River District Health Department, 270-781-8039).
· Madisonville: May 18, , Lonestar Pentecostal Church, Highway 85 East (contact Robbie Jones, Hopkins County Health Department, 270-821-5242).
· Maysville: May 23, 6-9 p.m., Maysville Community and Technical College, 1755 U.S. 68 (contact Suzie Hamm, Buffalo Trace District Health Department, 606-564-9447).
· Erlanger: May 24, , Receptions Banquet & Conference Center, 1379 Donaldson Highway (contact Steve Divine, Northern Kentucky Health Department, 859-363-2023).
· LaGrange: May 24, , Oldham County Community Center, 1551 N. Highway 393 (contact Dori Livy, Oldham County Health Department, 502-222-3516).
· Russellville: June 15, (CST) Crittenden Drive Church of Christ, 620 Crittenden Dr. (contact Amanda Bogard, Barren River District Health Department, 270-781-8039).
More information on pandemic flu readiness is available at
http://www.chfs.ky.gov/dph/epi/preparedness/pandemicinfluenza.htm and www.pandemicflu.gov.