Secretary of State
Deadline to Switch Political Party Affiliation is December 31, 2005

Press Release Date:  Monday, December 12, 2005  
Contact Information:  Les Fugate, Director of Communications
Office of the Secretary of State
Office: (502) 564-3490
Cell: (502) 229-3803

(Frankfort, KY) – When Kentuckians go to the polls in May of 2006 they will see more races on the ballot than at any point in the Commonwealth’s history.  If citizens want to change their party registration and still participate in this historic election, they have to do so by December 31, 2005; otherwise, they might miss out on their chance.


            Kentucky state law requires any citizen who wishes to change his/her voter registration and also vote in that party’s upcoming primary election must be registered with his/her new party by December 31st of the preceding year.  The deadline also affects candidates who wish to switch political party affiliation and run in their new party's primary election.


            “Time is running out for citizens to change their party registration,” stated Secretary of State Trey Grayson, Kentucky’s Chief Election Officer.  “We want to make sure that every citizen has the chance to vote in the primary election of their choosing.”


            While voters who change their party registration after December 31, 2005 will not be able to vote in their new party’s primary election, they will be able to vote in non-partisan races including many of the judicial races that will be on this year’s ballot.


            Those who wish to change their party can complete a voter registration card and submit it to the county clerk in their county of residence by the deadline. Because the 31st falls on a Saturday in 2005, and due to the holiday season, please be sure to check with your local county clerk for times that their offices will be open. Registration cards that are mailed must be postmarked by December 31, 2005.


            The cards are available at county clerks' offices or on the Office of the Secretary of State's web site, located at


# # #