Secretary of State - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Secretary of State's Office Closing at 12:00 p.m. (EDT) on April 18, 2014
Thursday, April 17, 2014
The Secretary of State's Office will close at 12:00 p.m. (EDT) on Friday, April 18, 2014, for Good Friday. The office will reopen for normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EDT), on Monday, April 21, 2014.
- Secretary Grimes and Attorney General Conway Join Together to Preserve Election Integrity
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky’s chief election official, and Attorney General Jack Conway, the state’s chief law enforcement official, are again joining forces to prevent vote fraud in the May 20 Primary Election. Members of the Kentucky Election Integrity Task Force, headed by Grimes, met today to coordinate efforts to protect the integrity of the election.
- Secretary Grimes Announces 25th Annual Slogan Contest Winners
Thursday, April 10, 2014
Three Kentucky middle school students’ original slogans were chosen by the public to help promote voting in Kentucky in the Secretary of State’s 25th annual Slogan Contest. Evan Chaney, an eighth grader at North Middle School in Henderson County, submitted the winning slogan, “Don’t stay home and think you might. Go vote now, the time is right!” Chaney will receive a $1,000 cash prize for the first-place finish.
- Deadline to Register to Vote in May 20th Primary Election is April 21, 2014
Monday, April 07, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes reminds eligible Kentuckians that the deadline to register to vote in the upcoming May 20 Primary Election is Monday, April 21.
- Absentee Voting in May 20, 2014, Primary Election Begins
Thursday, April 03, 2014
Eligible voters may begin casting mail-in absentee ballots in Kentucky’s May 20, 2014, Primary Election. Individuals who may be eligible to vote by mail-in absentee ballot include:
• Military personnel, their dependents, and overseas citizens
• Students who temporarily reside outside the county
• Voters who temporarily reside outside Kentucky (e.g., vacationers)
• Voters who are incarcerated but have not yet been convicted
• Voters whose employment takes them outside the county for all days and hours the polling place is open
• Voters of advanced age or who suffer from disability or illness
• Voters who are participants in the Secretary of State’s Address Confidentiality Program
- Secretary Grimes Recognizes Kentucky's Civic Education Leaders
Thursday, March 27, 2014
On March 21, 2014, at the 2014 Whitaker Bank/KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16 Basketball Tournament, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes recognized 12 Kentucky educators and community leaders for their work to promote civic education across the Commonwealth.
- Secretary Grimes Recognizes 25th Annual Essay Contest Winners
Friday, March 21, 2014
Today, at the 2014 Whitaker Bank/KHSAA Boys’ Sweet Sixteen State Basketball Tournament, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes recognized four Kentucky high school students for winning the 25th annual Essay Contest in their respective grades.
- Deadline for Independent Candidates to File Statements of Candidacy is April 1, 2014
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Pursuant to KRS 118.365(5) and KRS 118.367, individuals seeking to run as independent, political organization or political group candidates for certain partisan offices must file their Statement-of-Candidacy forms no later than Tuesday, April 1, 2014, at 4 p.m. in order to be placed on the ballot for the November general election. There is no fee to file a Statement of Candidacy. Candidates for federal offices and mayor or legislative body of cities of the second to sixth class that conduct partisan elections are exempt from this requirement.
- Secretary Grimes Helps Induct Inaugural Class of Kentucky Veterans Hall of Fame
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
On Wednesday, Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes greeted and helped honor the inaugural class of the Kentucky Veterans Hall of Fame. The organization inducted 27 veterans into the hall of fame in a ceremony in Frankfort.
- Secretary Grimes Celebrates International Women's Day
Friday, March 07, 2014
International Women’s Day is March 8, and Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is encouraging all Kentuckians to observe the occasion by honoring the women and men who have paved the way for greater women’s rights and commit themselves to further progress. Grimes is Kentucky’s 76th Secretary of State and only current female constitutional officer.
- Secretary Grimes Honored to Welcome First Female Commanding General of Ft. Knox
Friday, March 07, 2014
Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes today continued her active support of Kentucky’s men and women in uniform, welcoming Ft. Knox’s first female commanding general, Brigadier General Peggy C. Combs, during a change of command ceremony at the base. Brigadier General Combs replaces Major General Jefforey A. Smith as commanding general at Ft. Knox.
- Secretary Grimes Encourages Kentuckians to Serve as Precinct Election Officers
Friday, March 07, 2014
Secretary of State and Chief Election Officer Alison Lundergan Grimes encourages citizens to take an active role in the May 20 Primary Election by serving as precinct election officers, or poll workers. Approximately 15,000 Kentuckians will be needed to help administer the election.
- Secretary of State Grimes Opens Online Poll for Slogan Contest
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Students across the Commonwealth are participating in Kentucky’s 25th annual Essay and Slogan Contest, and Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is inviting the public to vote for their favorite slogan.
- 640 Candidates Filed with Secretary of State's Office to Run in May 20 Primary
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes announced today that 640 candidates filed with her office to run in the May 20 Primary Election. The deadline to file was January 28, 2014, at 4:00 p.m., local time at the place of filing.
- Secretary Grimes Seeks Nominations for Outstanding Civic Education Leadership Award
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky’s Chief Advocate for Civic Engagement, is seeking nominations for the 2013-2014 Kentucky Outstanding Civic Education Leadership Award. The award recognizes teachers, school administrators, legislators and community leaders who have made notable contributions toward promoting or implementing civic learning to prepare students to be active and engaged in their communities.
- Secretary Grimes Reminds Candidates Filing Deadline is January 28, 2014
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is reminding potential candidates that they must file their candidacy papers by 4 p.m., local time at the place of filing, on Tuesday, January 28, 2014, in order to be placed on the ballot for the May 20 Primary Election.
- Secretary of State Grimes Encourages Businesses to File Annual Reports Early
Monday, January 13, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky’s Chief Business Official, is reminding entities authorized to transact business in Kentucky that they must file an annual report with the Secretary of State’s office and pay a $15 filing fee no later than July 1, 2014.
- More Than 400 Candidates Have Filed for Office Ahead of January 28, 2014, Deadline
Friday, December 27, 2013
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes announced today that more than 400 candidates have already filed with her office to run in the 2014 elections. Candidates who wish to be placed on the ballot for the May 20 Primary Election must file their candidacy papers by 4 p.m. local time at the place of filing on Tuesday, January 28, 2014.
- Secretary of State's Office Closed December 24th, 25th and 31st and January 1st for Holidays
Monday, December 23, 2013
The Secretary of State’s office will be closed Tuesday, December 24th, and Wednesday, December 25th, for the Christmas holiday. The office will reopen for normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., EST, on Thursday, December 26th.
- Secretary Grimes Reminds Voters of Deadline to Change Party Affiliation
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Registered voters who want to vote in another party’s May 2014 primary election or attain ballot access in the 2014 regular elections as an independent or member of a different political party must change their registration no later than December 31, 2013.