Secretary of State - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Secretary of State’s Office Closed November 27 and 28 for Thanksgiving Holiday
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
The Secretary of State’s office will be closed Thursday, November 27, and Friday, November 28, for the Thanksgiving holiday. The office will reopen for normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., EST, on Monday, December 1.
- Secretary Grimes Encourages Kentuckians to Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
Monday, November 24, 2014
The Saturday after Thanksgiving is Small Business Saturday, a day to recognize small and family businesses, entrepreneurs, and local servicers and retailers. Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky’s Secretary of State and chief business official, is encouraging Kentuckians to participate in Small Business Saturday and to support local businesses throughout the season.
- State Board of Elections Certifies Vote Totals from General Election
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Today, the State Board of Elections certified vote totals from the November 4 General Election and issued certificates of election to candidates who received the highest number of votes. Detailed results from the election are available at www.elect.ky.gov.
- Secretary Grimes Announces Election Integrity Task Force Special Meeting
Monday, November 17, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes announced today that the Election Integrity Task Force will conduct a special meeting at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 18, 2014.
- Secretary of State's Office Closed November 11 in Observance of Veterans Day
Monday, November 10, 2014
The Secretary of State's office will be closed Tuesday, November 11, in observance of Veterans Day. The office will reopen for normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., EST, on Wednesday, November 12.
"Kentucky is home to more than 300,000 veterans," said Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes. "Many Kentuckians took the opportunity to vote in honor of a veteran on Election Day, and I hope this Tuesday everyone will remember and pay tribute to the selfless men and women who have served Kentucky and our nation."
- Secretary Grimes Announces State Board of Elections Special Meeting
Friday, October 31, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes announced today that the State Board of Elections will be in session from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., EST, on November 4, 2014, and it will conduct a special board meeting at 1:00 p.m., EST, on that date.
- Secretary Grimes Forecasts Turnout in General Election
Friday, October 31, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes today projected approximately 49 percent of the 3.1 million people registered to vote in Kentucky will turn out for the Nov. 4, 2014, General Election.
- Secretary Grimes Reminds Voters of "Do's and Don'ts" of General Election
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is reminding voters of Election Day “Do’s and Don’ts” in advance of Kentucky’s General Election on Nov. 4.
- Secretary Grimes Reminds Voters of Offices on General Election Ballot
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
The Nov. 4, 2014, General Election is less than one week away, and Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is encouraging voters to educate themselves about the candidates and issues they will see on their ballots.
- Secretary Grimes Urges Kentuckians to Prepare for Nov. 4 General Election
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
The General Election is one week away, and Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is reminding all eligible voters to plan ahead for Election Day to make sure their voices are heard on Nov. 4.
- Secretary Grimes Encourages Kentuckians to Vote in Honor of Veterans on November 4
Friday, October 24, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is encouraging Kentucky voters to participate in her office’s “Vote in Honor of a Veteran” program to show respect for the men and women who risk their lives to protect the right to vote.
- Secretary Grimes Announces Online Services Available to Voters for General Election
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes encourages Kentucky voters to take advantage of online services available to help them prepare for the Nov. 4, 2014, General Election.
- More Voters Than Ever Registered in Kentucky as November 4 General Election Approaches
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
More than 3.1 million Kentuckians will appear on the voter rolls for the November 4 General Election, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes announced today. The total number of registered voters – 3,147,157 – constitutes a new record, beating the 3,105,349 registered for the Primary Election held in May. The difference is an increase of 1.4%, or 41,800 voters, over five months.
- Secretary Grimes Works With Law Enforcement to Protect Integrity of 2014 Election
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, the state’s chief election official, is again joining forces with law enforcement officials to prevent vote fraud in the November 4 General Election. Members of the Kentucky Election Integrity Task Force, headed by Grimes and Attorney General Jack Conway, met today to coordinate efforts to protect the integrity of the election.
- Secretary Grimes Reminds Write-In Candidates of Filing Deadline
Monday, October 20, 2014
The deadline to file to be a write-in candidate in the November 4, 2014, General Election is October 24, 2014, and Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is reminding interested individuals to turn in their paperwork and filing fee to the appropriate filing officer.
- In-Person Absentee Voting Opening for November 4, 2014 General Election
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Eligible voters in many Kentucky counties may already cast absentee votes for the November 4, 2014, General Election in their county clerks’ offices. All counties will allow eligible voters to cast in-person absentee ballots at least 12 working days before the election.
- Secretary Grimes Announces 91 Percent of Kentucky Businesses Filed Required Annual Reports
Friday, October 03, 2014
Today, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes announced that 91 percent of the nearly 204,000 entities that were required to file annual reports with her office this year fulfilled the requirement.
- Secretary Grimes Promotes Address Confidentiality Program for Victims of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
Thursday, October 02, 2014
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is continuing her efforts to protect domestic violence victims’ voting rights through her office’s Address Confidentiality Program (ACP).
- Secretary Grimes Launches Online Portal for Military and Overseas Voters
Monday, September 29, 2014
Today, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes launched her office’s new Online Portal for Military and Overseas Voters. The Portal is part of the Kentucky Military Heroes Voting Initiative, which is the result of recommendations Grimes made following a trip to the Middle East in 2012 to visit Kentucky soldiers and evaluate military and overseas voting procedures.
- Secretary Grimes Reminds Kentuckians to Register to Vote
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
September 23, 2014, is National Voter Registration Day, and Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is reminding all Kentuckians to take the necessary steps to ensure their voices are heard in the November 4, 2014, General Election.