Highway crews continue to clear snow and ice following winter storm
Motorists advised to use caution, check road conditions before travel
FRANKFORT, Ky. (March 5, 2012) – Kentucky Transportation Cabinet highway crews continue efforts today to clear roadways of snow and ice brought by a winter storm affecting the eastern half of the state.
Maintenance crews continue to plow and treat roadways in central and eastern Kentucky–particularly in counties along the I-64 corridor.
Transportation Cabinet crews work as long as necessary to clear roadways of snow and ice. Statewide, Transportation Cabinet maintenance crews have a fleet of 1,065 snow plows and can call on more than 350 snow-removal contractors.
Motorists are advised to:
• Check road conditions before travelling.
• Exercise greater caution when driving. Slow down!
• Give a wide berth to snow plows and other heavy highway equipment.
• Eliminate distractions while behind the wheel.
• Stay in the vehicle if you become stranded. Help will come.
Road conditions throughout the state can be found on the Transportation Cabinet website at www.511.ky.gov, by calling 511 in Kentucky or 1-866-737-3767 for out-of-state callers. Links to weather updates, weather safety tips, including winter driving tips, can be found on the KYEM website at www.kyem.ky.gov .