Arts Council - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Jazz master Jay Flippin and apprentice Elise Melrood perform special concert at Natasha's
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Jazz music fans won't want to miss a special concert that is the culminating performance of a Kentucky Arts Council Folk and Traditional Arts Apprenticeship, at 8 p.m. Thursday, June 13, at Natasha's Bistro and Bar in Lexington.
- Performing artists added to Kentucky Arts Council directory
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Six performing artists or groups have been accepted into the Kentucky Arts Council's Performing Arts Directory in the latest application cycle. One additional group had its eligibility renewed for the state's adjudicated roster of performing artists.
- Kentucky Arts Council to meet in Lexington
Tuesday, June 11, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will have its quarterly board meeting
June 14, 2013, from noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time at the UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, Pavilion A, Room A.00.123. The hospital is located at 1000 S. Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536. Board meetings are open to the public.
- Kentucky Arts Council receives $681,900 from National Endowment for the Arts
Thursday, May 30, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council has been awarded $681,900 from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) in the federal agency's latest round of state partnership agreement grants.
- 10 businesses join list of Kentucky Crafted Retailers
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Ten new specialty retail shops have been added to the list of official Kentucky Crafted Retailers, a program of the Kentucky Arts Council.
- Kentucky Arts Council publishes online directory of summer arts camps
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Kentucky youths have multiple opportunities to participate in the arts this summer through camps sponsored by nonprofit arts organizations that are partners with the Kentucky Arts Council.
- Bardstown, Maysville named Kentucky Cultural Districts
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today announced that the cities of Bardstown and Maysville joined the list of official Kentucky Cultural Districts, bringing the total number of state-certified communities to six.
- 30 Kentucky schools create 'Derby Blankets' for Governor's Derby Celebration
Thursday, May 02, 2013
Artwork created by students at 30 Kentucky schools will be featured as unique art installations on the grounds of the Old State Capitol during the Governor's Derby Celebration, May 4 in downtown Frankfort.
- Kentucky Arts Council sponsors conference on community building through the arts
Wednesday, May 01, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council is sponsoring a colloquium for local leaders who are interested in using the arts as a community-building tool.
- Kentucky Crafted artists to participate in Governor's Derby Celebration
Monday, April 29, 2013
Fourteen Kentucky Crafted artists will exhibit handmade art and craft and offer goods for sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 4, on the lawn of the Old State Capitol as part of the Governor's Derby Celebration festivities.
- Kentucky Arts Council awards grants for arts programming for senior population
Friday, April 26, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council has awarded more than $50,000 in grants to six organizations that will provide arts programming to people 65 and older in an effort to address barriers that may prevent underserved populations of Kentuckians from experiencing the arts.
- Poet Laureate Frank X Walker to be inducted on Kentucky Writers' Day
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Lexington writer Frank X Walker will be officially inducted as Kentucky Poet Laureate in a public ceremony on Kentucky Writers' Day at 10 a.m., April 24, in the Capitol Rotunda.
- Submit Kentucky Writers' Day events for online listing
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Organizations planning events in celebration of Kentucky Writers' Day on April 24 are invited to submit their information to be listed online with the Kentucky Arts Council.
- Governor's Derby Exhibit on display through May 6
Tuesday, April 09, 2013
Twenty-six works of art by Kentucky artists were chosen from 163 entries to be displayed in the Governor's Derby Exhibit, part of the Governor's Derby Celebration.
- Kentucky Arts Council presents architectural artists at Central Kentucky Home, Garden & Flower Show
Tuesday, April 02, 2013
A special display of work by Kentucky artists who create architectural elements, sculptures, custom-made fixtures and uniquely crafted installations for residential and commercial spaces will be prominently featured at the 38th Annual Central Kentucky Home, Garden & Flower Show.
- Kentucky Crafted artists exhibit at Indiana Artisan Marketplace
Monday, April 01, 2013
Thirty-three artists in the Kentucky Crafted Program will exhibit fine art and craft at the 2013 Indiana Artisan Marketplace, April 6-7 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis.
- Governor appoints new member to Kentucky Arts Council board
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Governor Steve Beshear has appointed one new member to the Kentucky Arts Council board, and reappointed four current board members.
- Kentucky Arts Council board to meet in Frankfort
Monday, March 18, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will have its quarterly board meeting March 22, 2013, from noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History in the Brown-Forman Corp. Kentucky Room, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort.
- Boyd County student wins state Poetry Out Loud competition
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Boyd County High School student Gabby Thompson won the right to travel to Washington, D.C., in April to represent Kentucky in the National Poetry Out Loud poetry recitation contest by winning the state competition today.
- Kentucky Arts Council seeks schools to create Derby celebration artwork
Thursday, March 07, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council invites schools to participate in the Governor's Derby Celebration by painting canvases to be used as tablecloths on picnic tables at the annual event.