Arts Council - All Headlines
Below is a list of all current press releases. To view the full text, click on the press release title.
- Bardstown, Maysville named Kentucky Cultural Districts
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
First Lady Jane Beshear today announced that the cities of Bardstown and Maysville joined the list of official Kentucky Cultural Districts, bringing the total number of state-certified communities to six.
- 30 Kentucky schools create 'Derby Blankets' for Governor's Derby Celebration
Thursday, May 02, 2013
Artwork created by students at 30 Kentucky schools will be featured as unique art installations on the grounds of the Old State Capitol during the Governor's Derby Celebration, May 4 in downtown Frankfort.
- Kentucky Arts Council sponsors conference on community building through the arts
Wednesday, May 01, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council is sponsoring a colloquium for local leaders who are interested in using the arts as a community-building tool.
- Kentucky Crafted artists to participate in Governor's Derby Celebration
Monday, April 29, 2013
Fourteen Kentucky Crafted artists will exhibit handmade art and craft and offer goods for sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 4, on the lawn of the Old State Capitol as part of the Governor's Derby Celebration festivities.
- Kentucky Arts Council awards grants for arts programming for senior population
Friday, April 26, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council has awarded more than $50,000 in grants to six organizations that will provide arts programming to people 65 and older in an effort to address barriers that may prevent underserved populations of Kentuckians from experiencing the arts.
- Poet Laureate Frank X Walker to be inducted on Kentucky Writers' Day
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Lexington writer Frank X Walker will be officially inducted as Kentucky Poet Laureate in a public ceremony on Kentucky Writers' Day at 10 a.m., April 24, in the Capitol Rotunda.
- Submit Kentucky Writers' Day events for online listing
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Organizations planning events in celebration of Kentucky Writers' Day on April 24 are invited to submit their information to be listed online with the Kentucky Arts Council.
- Governor's Derby Exhibit on display through May 6
Tuesday, April 09, 2013
Twenty-six works of art by Kentucky artists were chosen from 163 entries to be displayed in the Governor's Derby Exhibit, part of the Governor's Derby Celebration.
- Kentucky Arts Council presents architectural artists at Central Kentucky Home, Garden & Flower Show
Tuesday, April 02, 2013
A special display of work by Kentucky artists who create architectural elements, sculptures, custom-made fixtures and uniquely crafted installations for residential and commercial spaces will be prominently featured at the 38th Annual Central Kentucky Home, Garden & Flower Show.
- Kentucky Crafted artists exhibit at Indiana Artisan Marketplace
Monday, April 01, 2013
Thirty-three artists in the Kentucky Crafted Program will exhibit fine art and craft at the 2013 Indiana Artisan Marketplace, April 6-7 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis.
- Governor appoints new member to Kentucky Arts Council board
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Governor Steve Beshear has appointed one new member to the Kentucky Arts Council board, and reappointed four current board members.
- Kentucky Arts Council board to meet in Frankfort
Monday, March 18, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will have its quarterly board meeting March 22, 2013, from noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History in the Brown-Forman Corp. Kentucky Room, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort.
- Boyd County student wins state Poetry Out Loud competition
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Boyd County High School student Gabby Thompson won the right to travel to Washington, D.C., in April to represent Kentucky in the National Poetry Out Loud poetry recitation contest by winning the state competition today.
- Kentucky Arts Council seeks schools to create Derby celebration artwork
Thursday, March 07, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council invites schools to participate in the Governor's Derby Celebration by painting canvases to be used as tablecloths on picnic tables at the annual event.
- By the numbers – Fun facts about Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Kentucky Crafted: The Market, the Kentucky Arts Council's award-winning arts marketplace, returns this weekend, March 1-3, to the Lexington Convention Center. The Market features the highest quality work from artists across the state who are adjudicated participants in the Kentucky Crafted Program.
- 17 will compete in state Poetry Out Loud championship
Monday, February 25, 2013
Kentucky's 17 Poetry Out Loud school champions will compete for the state championship March 12 in Frankfort, the next tier of competition in the national poetry recitation contest. The state winner will advance to the national Poetry Out Loud competition.
- Activities, exhibits abound at Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Friday, February 22, 2013
Music, art, hands-on activities and exhibits combine to create a one-of-a-kind arts experience for visitors to Kentucky Crafted: The Market March 2-3 at the Lexington Convention Center.
- Arts education grant available to Kentucky teachers
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Opportunities are available for teachers to collaborate with professional artists to provide unique arts education experiences for students through the Kentucky Arts Council's Teaching Art Together grant.
- Registration open for arts marketing workshop at Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will offer a workshop for artists interested in marketing their work and learning about the application process for the Kentucky Crafted Program at Kentucky Crafted: The Market.
- Buyers can still register for Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Kentucky Crafted: The Market is open Friday, March 1, to buyers and representatives of businesses who want to include the finest art and craft produced in the Commonwealth in their retail collections.
- Kentucky college students get hands-on training at Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Monday, February 18, 2013
Art students attending the University of Kentucky, Morehead State University and Berea College will exhibit their work during Kentucky Crafted: The Market's public retail days March 2-3 at the Lexington Convention Center, as part of an effort by the Kentucky Arts Council to prepare young artists to succeed as professional artists after completing their education.
- Frank X Walker named Kentucky Poet Laureate
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Governor Steve Beshear has appointed Lexington poet, author and teacher Frank X Walker as Kentucky poet laureate for 2013-14, the Kentucky Arts Council announced today. Walker, a native of Danville, will be formally inducted during a ceremony on Kentucky Writers' Day, April 24, at the Capitol Rotunda in Frankfort.
- Kentucky Arts Council presents Kentucky Crafted artists at Buyers Market of American Craft
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Five Kentucky artists will exhibit at the nation's largest wholesale trade show for artists who make their work by hand through a business and marketing initiative sponsored by the Kentucky Arts Council in partnership with the Kentucky Small Business Development Center.
- Artists may submit work for Governor's Derby Exhibit
Friday, February 08, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council invites the Commonwealth's visual artists to submit work for consideration in the Governor's Derby Exhibit. The exhibit will be on display in the Capitol Rotunda March 25 through May 6.
- Schools, teachers can apply for transportation grants from Kentucky Arts Council
Thursday, February 07, 2013
Grant funding is available from the Kentucky Arts Council for teachers and schools seeking assistance with transportation costs to and from arts events.
- Two days of music slated for Kentucky Crafted: The Market
Thursday, February 07, 2013
More than 30 of the state's top musicians and musical acts will play on the Kentucky Stage March 2-3 at the Lexington Convention Center, just one of many arts events in conjunction with Kentucky Crafted: The Market.
- Arts Day in Kentucky set for Feb. 13 in Frankfort
Monday, February 04, 2013
Arts leaders, artists and supporters of the arts from across the state will gather Feb. 13 in Frankfort for a full day of activities to celebrate the arts and thank legislators for their support.
- Artists may apply for Performing Arts Directory
Friday, January 25, 2013
Applications are open for artists interested in being included in the Kentucky Arts Council’s Performing Arts Directory, the state’s adjudicated Web-based roster of Kentucky performing artists.
- Grant applications open to Kentucky visual, craft and media artists
Friday, January 25, 2013
Applications are open for the Al Smith Individual Artist Fellowship and the Emerging Artist Award programs for individual artists from the Kentucky Arts Council. Visual, craft and media artists are eligible to apply for the current cycle.
- Kentucky Arts Council awards transportation grants to 10 schools
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council has awarded TranspARTation Grants to 10 Kentucky schools that will use the funding to send students to arts events and performances at venues across the state.
- Kentucky Arts Council offers operational support grants for arts organizations
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Kentucky nonprofit arts organizations that provide year-round arts programming may apply to the Kentucky Arts Council for Kentucky Arts Partnership grant funding by Jan. 15. Grants to qualified organizations will support operating costs for the period between
July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2014.
- Tickets on sale for Kentucky Crafted: The Market; artists, musicians, food producers to participate
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Producers of the state’s finest art, craft, literature and artisanal food products will set up shop March 1-3 at the Lexington Convention Center as participants of Kentucky Crafted: The Market. Tickets are on sale now for the Kentucky Arts Council’s signature arts marketplace, now in its 31st year.
- Kentucky Arts Council, UK HealthCare partner to present free concert series
Monday, January 07, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council will present a free concert series starting Jan. 8 in conjunction with the UK HealthCare Arts in HealthCare Program at the University of Kentucky Albert B. Chandler Hospital in Lexington.
- ‘Kentucky Visions at the Capitol’ exhibit on display
Monday, January 07, 2013
Works by 28 artists from across the Commonwealth are on display in hallways and conference rooms of the Kentucky Senate and House offices in the Capitol Annex in Frankfort Jan. 8 - March 26 as the Kentucky Arts Council presents “Kentucky Visions at the Capitol,” an annual exhibit.
- Apply now for folk and traditional arts apprenticeship grant
Wednesday, January 02, 2013
The Kentucky Arts Council is accepting applications until Feb. 15, 2013, for the Folk and Traditional Arts Apprenticeship grant. The grant provides up to $3,000 for master folk artists to teach the skills, practices and culture of Kentucky's living traditional arts to less experienced artists who are part of the same community.
- Kentucky Arts Council plans workshops in western Kentucky
Friday, December 21, 2012
The Kentucky Arts Council is sponsoring workshops Jan. 24-25 in western Kentucky for visual, craft and performing artists.
- Kentucky Arts Council Board meets in Louisville
Friday, December 14, 2012
The Kentucky Arts Council will have its quarterly board meeting from noon to 3 p.m. EST Dec. 18, 2012, at the W.L. Lyons Brown Theatre, Fifth Third Conference Room, 315 W. Broadway, Louisville, Ky.
- Kentucky Cultural District: Small city makes big impression with self-guided tour
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Horse Cave, the smallest of the five certified Kentucky Cultural Districts, has received recognition recently for its Hidden River Cave walking tour from various state and government-related entities.
- Kentucky folklorist receives prestigious national award
Wednesday, December 05, 2012
The founder of the Kentucky Folklife Program has been awarded one of the nation’s highest honors in the field of folklore, given annually by the American Folklore Society (AFS).
- Kentucky Arts Council seeks applications for Teaching Artists Directory
Tuesday, December 04, 2012
Artists interested in collaborating with Kentucky schools through Kentucky Arts Council arts education programs may now apply for inclusion in the agency’s Teaching Artists Directory.
- Kentucky organizations, poet receive NEA grant funding
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
A Kentucky poet and five Kentucky arts organizations will benefit from nearly $150,000 in grant awards from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Art Works funding for federal fiscal year 2013, the agency announced.
- Marshall County students create ornaments for National Christmas Tree display
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Students from three schools in Marshall County were chosen to design and create ornaments that will hang on Kentucky's tree in the 2012 National Christmas Tree display in President's Park in Washington, D.C.