Department of Fish and Wildlife - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Fall fishing carries new meaning this summer
Thursday, July 30, 2015
Anglers become conditioned to expect high water on lakes in spring and stable conditions in summer before the fall drawdowns to winter pool.
- Public meeting on Lake Malone marina request set for Aug. 26
Friday, July 24, 2015
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will host a public meeting at Muhlenberg County South Elementary School Aug. 26 to discuss an application to build a 24-slip marina at Lake Malone. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. (Central time).
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Water safety important now with rain swollen lakes and rivers
Thursday, July 23, 2015
The middle of July usually means less grass mowing because of the parched, brown conditions of most lawns. Streams normally run low and clear in mid-summer and concern about drought clouds people’s minds.
The Kentucky River at Frankfort looks like a flowing ribbon of foamy chocolate milk. This week, Buckhorn Lake in eastern Kentucky’s Leslie and Perry counties rose 13 ½ feet above normal summer pool while central Kentucky’s Taylorsville Lake swelled to 18 ½ feet above it. The unusually high water makes for unsafe conditions for boating, canoeing and kayaking as well as swimming on Kentucky lakes and rivers.
- Native walleye stocked in Kentucky River; part of ambitious restoration project
Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Native walleye have returned to the Kentucky River after a decades-long absence.
- Memorial to honor former Salato Wildlife Education Center director set for Aug. 14
Monday, July 20, 2015
A memorial ceremony to honor former Salato Wildlife Education Center Director Laurie Davison will be held at the center in Frankfort at 2:30 p.m. (Eastern time) Friday, Aug. 14.
- Tips to keep bugs from bugging you this summer
Friday, July 17, 2015
After a wet spring and a soggy start to the summer across parts of Kentucky, outdoors enthusiasts should expect to encounter more mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers. That won’t necessarily translate into an increased disease risk, but it could ruin an outing for the unprepared. A good bug-fighting strategy includes multiple lines of defense.
- Salato Wildlife Education Center in Frankfort delays opening on July 18
Friday, July 10, 2015
The Salato Wildlife Education Center in Frankfort will open at 1 p.m. Saturday, July 18.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Find the thermocline for better summer fishing success
Thursday, July 09, 2015
Fishing instruction for decades preached anglers should fish deep, cool water during the hottest days of the summer.
This makes sense as fish are cold-blooded animals and their bodies are the same temperature of the water that surrounds them.
However, fishing deep water in summer on a lake such as Taylorsville Lake may mean your offerings are in a dead zone. Warming air temperatures change the nature of the water in a lake. Anglers need to consider these changes while summer fishing.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Trail cameras are windows into the woods
Thursday, July 02, 2015
A few paces inside a tree line that borders an open field thick with chest-high grass lies a tangle of narrow, sun-dappled game trails just a stone’s throw from the Kentucky River below.
- Long-time Salato Wildlife Center manager drowns while on vacation
Monday, June 29, 2015
Salato Wildlife Education Center Manager Laurie Davison drowned Sunday morning while vacationing with her family near Garden City, South Carolina.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Blue Water Trails – Slate Creek
Thursday, June 25, 2015
Bath County was once a center of iron production in Kentucky and produced a great percentage of the iron smelted west of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the early years of Kentucky statehood.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Don’t overlook proper eye protection
Friday, June 19, 2015
Every angler has at one time or another forgotten something in their rush to leave for a fishing trip.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Carolina rig perfect for post spawn bass
Thursday, June 11, 2015
The calendar said June 1, but the cold northeast wind, chilly rain and leaden skies seemed more like a bad day on the opening weekend of the April Keeneland meet.
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife launches all-in-one web section for stream anglers
Tuesday, June 09, 2015
FRANKFORT, Ky. – Fisheries crews with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources routinely see a variety of trophy smallmouth bass, muskellunge, catfish and walleye while doing their sampling studies in streams.
- Salato to host Monarch Waystation program and planting June 13
Monday, June 08, 2015
Folks who have ever wondered what they could do to help native butterflies are invited to a program and planting at the Salato Wildlife Education Center in Frankfort at 10:30 a.m. (Eastern time) Saturday, June 13.
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission proposes early migratory bird seasons
Friday, June 05, 2015
The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission recommended the 2015-2016 early migratory bird season dates at its quarterly meeting today. All recommendations must be approved by legislators before they become law.
- Department seeks additional input on future quail restoration efforts
Friday, June 05, 2015
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is using an online questionnaire to gather additional public input about the future of quail restoration efforts in the state.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Young wildlife best left undisturbed
Thursday, June 04, 2015
Encounters with young wildlife increase in spring as people spend more time outdoors.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Free Fishing Weekend - a great opportunity for family fishing
Thursday, May 28, 2015
Free fishing weekend is one of the best avenues to introduce kids to the wonders of fishing and launch a lifelong passion. This year, Free Fishing Weekend is Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7 in Kentucky.
- Meeting to nominate Seventh District Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission member June 11 in Knott County
Tuesday, May 26, 2015
A meeting to nominate candidates for the Seventh District representative on the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission will be held at 7:30 p.m. (Eastern time) Thursday, June 11, at the Knott County Sportsplex, 450 Kenny Champion Loop, Leburn, Ky.