Department of Fish and Wildlife - Recent Headlines
Below you will find a list of recent press releases. Click on the title to view the full text of the press release.
To view more headlines or archived press releases, use the green navigation options on the left.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Fishing options for the dog days
Monday, July 28, 2014
The dog days of summer settled over Kentucky in the last week, bringing the hottest temperatures of the year. The summer heat in July and August make fishing reservoirs a tough prospect.
- Two public meetings rescheduled in Grant, Owen counties on proposal to lift boat motor restrictions on area lakes
Friday, July 18, 2014
Two public meetings have been rescheduled on a proposal to lift boat motor restrictions at small department-owned lakes in Grant and Owen counties.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Practice safety at the shooting range
Thursday, July 17, 2014
The cooler temperatures and lower humidity that spread across Kentucky this week made it feel more like early fall than the dog days of summer.
Fall hunting season seems closer with a crispness in the air in mid-July. And in reality, it isn’t far off. Early fall squirrel season in Kentucky opens in less than a month.
Spending time at the shooting range now not only is fun but it’s also a surefire way to ensure you’ll be ready when it counts this fall.
- Drawing completed for elk hunting areas
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Those drawn for a 2014 Kentucky elk hunt can now go online to www.fw.ky.gov to see their assigned hunting area.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Want good fishing and carefree boating? Leave the bananas at home
Thursday, July 10, 2014
A close friend prepared to board a charter boat with his family for a fishing excursion while on a Florida vacation several years ago. His mother brought along some bananas for a between meal snack.
- Additional public meetings set for proposal to lift boat motor restrictions on six small lakes
Thursday, July 10, 2014
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will hold a second series of public meetings to electronically record comments pertaining to a proposal to lift motor restrictions on several small department-owned lakes in the state.
- Lloyd Wildlife Management Area tube shooting range hours curtailed while stream project underway
Monday, July 07, 2014
The tube shooting range at Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area in Grant County will operate on restricted hours during the week through the end of the month due to ongoing stream restoration work.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Blue Water Trails – Green River above the Lake
Thursday, July 03, 2014
The headwaters of Green River above Green River Lake imprinted historical greatness on the descendants of the earliest settlers of the area.
- Artists sought for Ohio Valley Art League wildlife exhibit
Wednesday, July 02, 2014
The Ohio Valley Art League and the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources are inviting artists to enter the 2014 Kentucky National Wildlife Art Exhibit. This is the eleventh biennial year for this juried wildlife exhibit.
- Salt River, North Fork of Elkhorn Creek receive special stockings of largemouth bass
Tuesday, July 01, 2014
The fisheries division of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources recently stocked largemouth bass in three sites on the upper Salt River and five sites on North Elkhorn Creek. Each site received 800 largemouth bass roughly 3 inches long.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Make safe boating part of your July 4 holiday weekend plans
Thursday, June 26, 2014
With the Fourth of July falling on a Friday this year, Kentucky’s lakes and rivers will be teeming with boaters enjoying the long holiday weekend.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors:Least terns nesting in the Mississippi, lower Ohio rivers; be careful around nests
Friday, June 20, 2014
Interior least terns are nesting now on sand bars in the Mississippi River along the New Madrid Bend, the western most parcel of Kentucky. Least terns are the only endangered species that nests in our state. Human disturbance can heavily impact their nesting success.
- Donation from League of Kentucky Sportsmen will improve grouse, small game habitat
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
A generous donation of two pieces of equipment from the League of Kentucky Sportsmen to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will produce better upland and small game hunting in the future.
- Department acquires nearly 1,000 acres for public use in Henry County
Monday, June 16, 2014
The Kentucky River Wildlife Management Area just grew by more than a third in size.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Catfish spawn brings hot fishing in reservoirs
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Water temperatures are climbing into the upper 70s, sending channel catfish to rocky banks in reservoirs to spawn. June is one of the most productive months to fish for them.
- Meeting to nominate Third District Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission member June 17 in Jefferson County
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
A meeting to nominate candidates for the Third District representative on the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission will be held at 7:30 p.m. (Eastern time) Tuesday, June 17, at the Sawyer Hayes Community Center at E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park, 2201 Lakeland Road, Louisville.
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission proposes early migratory bird seasons
Friday, June 06, 2014
The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission today recommended 2014-2015 early migratory bird season dates and a lengthening of the dove seasons. All recommendations must be approved by legislators before they become law.
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Along with the air temperatures, stream smallmouth bass fishing heating up
Thursday, June 05, 2014
A late spring following a brutally cold winter caused some hit and miss stream smallmouth fishing this past spring. With the warm winds of June now here, stream smallmouth are settling into their summer patterns with water temperatures stabilizing in the mid 70s.
- Special fishing events for kids planned during statewide free fishing weekend
Friday, May 30, 2014
The challenge of taking kids fishing is that they want to catch fish. Parents have a better chance of making this happen during a series of special free fishing events for kids being held across the state on Saturday, June 7.
- Meeting to nominate Eighth District Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission member June 12 in Morehead
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
A meeting to nominate candidates for the Eighth District representative on the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission will be held at 7:30 p.m. (Eastern time) Thursday, June 12, at the Carl D. Perkins Community Center, Crayton Jackson Lane, Morehead.