Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Bishop John Monroe Moore

Press Release Date:  Tuesday, May 15, 2012  
Contact Information:  Chelsea Compton
chelsea.compton@ky.gov
502-564-1792, ext. 4504
 


FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 15, 2012) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor Bishop John Monroe Moore at 1 p.m. Saturday, May 26, on the Butler County Courthouse lawn in Morgantown.

Moore (1867-1948) was born, raised and educated in Butler County. He received a bachelor’s degree from National Normal University in Ohio, and went on to earn a doctorate from Yale in 1895. He was elected bishop in 1918 and was a founder of Southern Methodist University (SMU) and Perkins School of Theology. He served on the SMU board of trustees from 1922-39 and was one of three presiding bishops at the Uniting Conference of American Methodist Churches in 1939.


The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at
www.history.ky.gov.

For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or
becky.riddle@ky.gov.

 

-30-

An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.