Kentucky Historical Society
KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker to Honor Midway Colored School
FRANKFORT, Ky. (June 13, 2011) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor Midway Colored School at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 25 at 215 E. Walnut St. in Midway, Ky.
Erected in 1872, this was originally the building for Pilgrim Baptist Church. In 1911, the Woodford County Board of Education purchased the property in what was then known as “Haydensville” to be used as Midway Elementary School for African Americans. It was sold to the Midway Board of Education in 1936. The school operated for 43 years, closing at the end of 1953-54 school year. The building has since been used as a laundromat, beauty shop and lodge.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists.
For more information about the program, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or email@example.com.