Governor Steve Beshear's Communications Office
More than 100,000 kynect enrollments processed since Nov. 15
25,000 new applicants, 75,000 renewals for Health Coverage processed through kynect
FRANKFORT, Ky. – More than 100,000 Kentuckians have newly applied for health care coverage or renewed their current plans through kynect during the first 30 days of open enrollment. Dec. 15 marked the deadline for individuals to sign up or choose a new plan in order for coverage to begin Jan. 1, 2015.
Since Nov. 15, a total of 101,114 individuals have either newly enrolled in a private health insurance plan, qualified for Medicaid coverage or renewed the private insurance plans they purchased last year through kynect.
Over the past 30 days, more than 9,200 individuals have newly enrolled in one of the private health insurance plans offered through kynect. Of those, more than 6,000 qualified for some level of financial assistance to help cover a portion of their premium costs. Another 75,700 individuals have auto-renewed the private health insurance plans they purchased last year through kynect. An additional 16,100 met eligibility requirements for Medicaid, the majority of which qualified for coverage under the expansion. An individual’s income must fall below 138 percent of the Federal Poverty Level to qualify for the Medicaid expansion. This equates to an individual making less than $16,000 a year or a family of four with an annual household income at or below $36,000.
Open enrollment continues through Feb. 15, 2015. Those who need health insurance are encouraged to log on or contact an insurance agent or kynector to see their options for quality, affordable health coverage in 2015.
The following statistics are current as of 12 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 16:
- 262,435 unique visitors viewing more than 9.2 million pages;
- 159,184 individuals have conducted preliminary screenings;
- 209,871 calls have been handled by the kynect contact center;
- 15,734 new accounts have been created;
- 3,868 people have downloaded the new kynect app;
- 38,309 new applications for coverage have been submitted;
- 16,139 have enrolled in Medicaid coverage;
- 75,760 individuals have renewed their enrollment in a qualified health plan;
- 9,215 individuals have newly enrolled in a qualified health plan;
- 5,407 individuals have enrolled in dental plans; and
- 4,256 visitors to the kynect store at Fayette Mall in Lexington have completed 2,343 applications for new coverage.
Kentucky was hailed as a national leader last year when more than 521,000 Kentuckians enrolled in health care coverage through kynect. Three out of every four enrollees reported that they had no health insurance prior to signing up through kynect. A Gallup poll this summer reported that thanks to kynect, Kentucky had the second-highest reduction of uninsured people in the country, falling from 20.4 percent in 2013 to 11.9 percent midway through 2014.
Among improvements to kynect this year are:
- enhancements at kynect.ky.gov to make seeing your costs and options and enrolling even easier;
- a kynect mobile app for Android and Apple devices that can give you a preliminary estimate and guide Kentuckians to help or enrollment events in their area;
- additional call center staff and capacity; and
- a full-service enrollment retail storefront at the Fayette Mall in Lexington.
“We were really thrilled with the number of people kynect enrolled last year, but there are still thousands of Kentuckians who need insurance for themselves and for their families,” said Carrie Banahan, executive director of kynect. “Enrolling is easy. You can check out kynect online, by phone or in-person with an insurance agent or kynectors, or stop by our new location at Fayette Mall in Lexington.”
Visit https://kynect.ky.gov or call 1-855-4kynect (459-6328) to learn more about affordable health care options for Kentuckians.