Governor Steve Beshear's Communications Office
kynect Enrollments Up 16 Percent Since Thanksgiving Week
Biggest increase is in private health plans, with more than 3,800 new purchases
FRANKFORT, KY. – Over a 10-day period beginning Thanksgiving week, Kentucky’s health benefits website, kynect, saw a 16 percent increase in enrollments – adding more than 11,000 Kentuckians to the ranks of the newly insured in just over a week.
The largest increase was among individuals purchasing private health insurance plans. From Nov. 26 to Dec. 5, nearly 4,000 Kentuckians chose a new private insurance policy – a 32 percent increase over the prior total of private plans.
kynect’s technology team had anticipated a post-holiday increase in web traffic, applications and enrollments and increased capacity in order to meet the demand.
kynect has been hailed as a national model since its launch Oct. 1 for its continuous smooth operation and easy interface for users looking for affordable health coverage. The site continues to enroll about 1,000 Kentuckians each day into new health coverage.
The below statistics reflect activity on kynect as of 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5:
- 574,055 unique visitors viewing nearly 16.7 million web pages. That’s an increase of more than 61,000 new website visitors in just over a week.
- 453,981 people conducted preliminary screenings to determine qualifications for subsidies, discounts or programs like Medicaid – nearly 37,000 new screenings.
- 71,955 enrolled in new health coverage, including Medicaid and private insurance
- 56,437 have enrolled in Medicaid and 15,518 have enrolled in a qualified health plan
- 41 percent of the enrollees in Medicaid or qualified health plans are under 35 years old.
- 28,307 have been found eligible for a subsidy to purchase a qualified health plan, but most have not yet chosen a plan
- 5,074 have enrolled in dental plans
- 1,109 small businesses have started applications for employee coverage; 451 of those businesses have completed applications and are eligible to offer coverage to employees.
- More than 194,000 calls answered by the kynect call center
For further updates on kynect numbers, visit governor.ky.gov/healthierky. Statistics will be updated there regularly.