Governor Steve Beshear's Communications Office
Gov. Beshear Announces Sanitary System Improvements in Hanson, Energy Efficiency Improvements for Madisonville
HANSON, Ky. – Gov. Steve Beshear joined Department for Local Government (DLG) Deputy Commissioner Stacia Peyton and local officials today to announce funding for a community investment in Hanson and energy efficiency improvements in Madisonville.
An $867,000 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) administered by DLG was awarded to the city of Hanson for sewer system improvements. An Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) of $125,000 will go to the city of Madisonville for energy updates.
“These grants will have a significant impact on Hopkins County residents,” said Gov. Beshear. “The updates and replacements will save energy costs and reduce energy dependence. Hanson residents will have safe, consistent sanitary sewer service, even when the power goes out. The efficiencies from both grants will save taxpayers money.”
The CDBG grant will fund a new sewer system, which will replace an inefficient, costly grinder pump system that had a detrimental effect on user rates. During the ice storm of 2009, residents with grinder pumps were left with no sewer service for 10 to 25 days, with no power to run the systems. This caused sewage to back up in homes and created health hazards.
The first phase of the project replaced 65 percent of the system and was completed in 2009. This phrase will address the remaining 35 percent.
“Reliable sanitation is an essential public service,” said DLG Deputy Commissioner Peyton. “By providing vital updates, this investment in the Hanson community will supply citizens with the best possible wastewater collection. The energy enhancements in Madisonville fit in well with Kentucky’s seven-point energy strategy and will help us reach our efficiency goals.”
Serving 95 customers, this phase of the project consists of the design and construction of 13,380 linear feet of 8 to 10-inch gravity sewer line and 5,838 linear feet of 2 to 4-inch force main line, two lift stations with back-up generator power, 55 manholes and other related improvements.
The CDBG funding will supplement a $400,000 Kentucky Infrastructure Authority grant and a $468,860 USDA Rural Development grant and loan for a project cost totaling more than $1.7 million.
The state’s CDBG program is administered by DLG and funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Kentucky’s Congressional leaders’ ongoing support of the CDBG program ensures the availability of continued funding in Kentucky and nationally.
“I’m glad to see this project enter its final stage, because it is especially critical to those families who really needed this upgrade,” said Rep. Eddie Ballard, of Madisonville. “These projects are good news not only for them, but for all of Hopkins County.”
The energy efficiency grant will fund the removal of traffic control devices and replace them with LED lights. In addition, two heating and cooling units will be replaced with high-efficiency versions for a city building.
“I am glad to see Hopkins County awarded these funds because this will allow Hanson and Madisonville to complete these much-needed and long-overdue improvements and bring Hanson residents onto the new modern and more efficient gravity flow system. The savings in maintenance costs is an added bonus,” said Sen. Jerry P. Rhoads, of Madisonville. “This will be the culmination of many years of planning and phased in funding and I would like to thank the DLG, Governor Beshear and our local legislative delegation — Reps. Ballard and Gooch — who worked with me in support of these projects. I would like to acknowledge the hard work and persistence of the city officials and the support of the Hopkins County judge-executive and fiscal court.”
First passed by Congress in 2007, the EECBG program was funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), with funds coming from the U.S. Department of Energy through the Kentucky Department for Energy Development and Independence and administered by DLG.
The Kentucky EECBG program provides $6.25 million to assist local governments in implementing strategies to reduce fossil fuel emissions; reduce total energy use; and improve energy efficiency in the transportation, building and other appropriate sectors. Additional purposes of the EECBG program include spurring economic growth and the creation and/or retention of jobs under ARRA.
To read Governor Beshear’s Intelligent Energy Choices for Kentucky’s Future: Kentucky’s 7-Point Energy Strategy, go to: