Auditor Of Public Accounts - Archived Headlines
Below you will find a list of press releases that are more than 180 days old. To view a press release, click on the title.
- Audit: Weak contract with Utility Management Group had ‘detrimental impact’ on Mountain Water District
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Financial burden caused district to tap reserve funds; Luallen calls for stronger board oversight, cost analysis, audit of UMG
- Audit of Corrections’ $12 million contract with ARAMARK finds areas of noncompliance
Thursday, October 07, 2010
Audit of Corrections’ $12 million contract with ARAMARK finds areas of noncompliance
Corrections offers inadequate monitoring of prison food vendor despite contract having sufficient provisions
- Audit compares sex offender/child care home addresses, prompts state to adopt new policies
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Audit compares sex offender/child care home addresses, prompts state to adopt new policies
Department to use registered sex offender address comparison to strengthen child care provider monitoring
- State Auditor releases Louisville audit, findings in Corrections, Neighborhoods, Animal Services. Annual audit makes 69 findings with recommendations on the city’s financial statements and its oversight of federal dollars.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
State Auditor releases Louisville audit, findings in Corrections, Neighborhoods, Animal Services
Annual audit makes 69 findings with recommendations on the city’s financial statements and its oversight of federal dollars
- Luallen releases special examination on Bullitt County electronic payroll theft of nearly $416,000 in June
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Luallen releases special examination on Bullitt County electronic payroll theft of nearly $416,000 in June
Examination offers several recommendations to county for strengthening online banking, information technology resources
- 2009 Local Education Audits (CPE)
Friday, August 07, 2009
Auditor Crit Luallen releases local adult education audits
Auditors examine 29 programs, $5.7 million in grants, find providers
are better managing adult education within CPE parameters
- Luallen releases ‘Auditor’s Alert’ on lessons learned from Bullitt County electronic payroll theft of nearly $416,000
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
Luallen releases ‘Auditor’s Alert’ on lessons learned from Bullitt County electronic payroll theft of nearly $416,000
Examination produces recommendations to assist governments in designing, implementing information technology controls
- Luallen releases 2008 audit of Wayne County Clerk, refers $53,000 deficit, other findings to AG, State Police
Friday, July 24, 2009
2007 audit found $87,000 deficit, brings total deficit in Wayne County Clerk’s Office to nearly $140,000 over two years
State Auditor Crit Luallen today released Wayne County Clerk Melissa Turpin’s audit of her 2008 financial statement, which refers a $52,930 deficit in her official account to the Kentucky State Police and the Kentucky Attorney General’s Office for further investigation.
- State Auditor releases audit of Blue Grass Airport, finds more than $500,000 in questionable spending
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Culture of ‘shameful’ and excessive spending at regional airport personally benefited former executive director, top management
- State Auditor finds gross mismanagement in Louisville Metro Department of Housing
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Department’s lax controls affected critical city programs, left millions of dollars in local and federal funds without proper oversight
- State Auditor releases audit of oversight of 3 contract vendors used by the state to administer CATS
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
State Auditor releases audit of oversight of 3 contract vendors used by the state to administer CATS
Audit identifies 9 findings, recommendations to strengthen oversight
- State Auditor Crit Luallen releases report on Kentucky Department of Charitable Gaming
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Department should increase oversight, develop greater controls of $489 million charitable gaming industry
- Audit: Kenlake Park employee steals almost $75,000
Monday, August 04, 2008
Department of Parks requested examination of missing funds.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen releases an analysis of Ky. State Parks
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Parks system experiencing growing losses despite millions in investments
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases volume two of Statewide Audit of Kentucky
Thursday, May 01, 2008
State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases volume two of Statewide Audit of Kentucky
Audit examines state government's oversight of federal programs; inadequate oversight places up to $26 million in jeopardy
- State Auditor Crit Luallen's Office Examines Inmate. Payroll Processing at Kentucky Correctional Industries
Thursday, May 01, 2008
State Auditor Crit Luallen's Office Examines Inmate. Payroll Processing at Kentucky Correctional Industries
Anonymous tip results in examination that
finds $6,877 stolen via prison computer
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Statewide Audit of Kentucky
Monday, February 25, 2008
Audit of fiscal year ending June 30, 2007 discovers 75 findings within state agencies
- Kentucky Auditor’s Office Receives Highest Possible Opinion After Peer Review
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
The Kentucky State Auditor’s Office received the highest possible opinion during its recently completed peer review. The favorable opinion was transmitted to the Auditor’s Office in an October 29 letter. The peer review is mandated by Government Auditing Standards created by the Comptroller General of the United States through the General Accounting Office. The review occurs once every three years.
- Knott County ’06 Audit: Nearly $13.5 Million in Questioned Costs
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
State Auditor Crit Luallen released today the 2006 Fiscal Year audit of Knott County Fiscal Court. The audit details 23 findings and questions expenditures totaling $13,440,532.
- City of Fulton Missing $23,000. Special Examination Requested by City Manager; Referred to Attorney General
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Special examination of the City of Fulton identified $23,062.52 in missing money. The discrepancy exists between the amount of money citizens tender for utility deposits and service fees, and the funds that were actually placed in the City Utility Revenue Account.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Statewide Single Audit of Kentucky
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Audit of Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2006 discovered 69 reportable conditions
- Luallen: Second Voting Leave Review Shows Great Improvement
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
96% of State Employees Who Took Leave Voted; Still, Possible Misuse Totals $136,357
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Audit of Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center
Thursday, March 01, 2007
Facility Cannot Continue to Operate With Current Financial Structure
- Luallen: Tuition Increases Put Higher Education Goals in Jeopardy
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Resident Full-Time Undergraduate Enrollment Rates Beginning to Fall; 45% of Growth is Out of State Students. Issue should be key for ’07 decisions
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Reports on Kentucky Horse Racing Authority: Regulatory Arm of Kentucky’s Signature Industry Needs More Accountability, Resources
Monday, January 08, 2007
Three reports on the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority released by State Auditor Crit Luallen show that the regulatory arm of Kentucky’s signature industry needs stronger financial management and accountability. The 163-page document also showed that the Authority needs additional expertise and resources to meet its mandates. The reports include financial and management audits, mandated by the 2006 Kentucky General Assembly, and a review of the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund requested by the agency.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Findings From an Investigation into City of Manchester
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
City Paved Private Driveways and Violated Financial Reporting Guidelines, Jeopardizing Funds
- Kentucky Should Make Adoption a Higher Priority
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Audit Calls for Strong Public Relations Campaign, and Creation of Birth Father Registry
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Assessment of Kentucky's Privatization Efforts. Statutes Ineffective; Oakwood Case Study Shows Problems with Kentucky’s System; 22 Recommendations
Thursday, October 19, 2006
State Auditor Crit Luallen today released a performance audit of Kentucky's method of privatizing government functions. The audit shows that Kentucky needs a process that will ensure stronger oversight and accountability of the Commonwealth's privatization contracting. The audit also found that Kentucky's main privatization statute is ineffective.
- Kentucky Dropout Rates Underreported: Audit Includes Recommendations for Improvement
Thursday, October 12, 2006
State Auditor Crit Luallen released an audit of Kentucky’s dropout rate. The performance audit was conducted to determine whether Kentucky’s dropout rate is valid and accurate. The audit discovered that districts couldn’t accurately calculate the dropout rate using the current student information system.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases 2004 and 2005 Audits of Laurel County Sheriff’s Office. Twenty Six Findings over Two Years – Over $80,000 Deficit
Thursday, October 05, 2006
State Auditor Crit Luallen today released the audits of the 2004 and 2005 financial statements of the Laurel County Sheriff, Gene Hollon. State law requires the Auditor to conduct annual audits of county clerks and sheriffs. The two audits reported fourteen comments in calendar year 2004 and twelve in the year ending December 31, 2005.
- Knott County ’05 Audit Finds Same Problems as ’04. 23 Findings, Over $400,000 New Questioned Cost; Problems During Term of Previous County Judge
Monday, August 21, 2006
State Auditor Crit Luallen released the Knott County audit for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2005. Many of the same findings that led auditors to question over $1 million in expenditures in the 2004 fiscal year audit were repeated into the 2005 fiscal year.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Findings and Recommendations Regarding Johnson County School District. Letter was response to Request by United States Department of Education.
Monday, July 10, 2006
State Auditor Crit Luallen released today a letter outlining an investigation of attendance issues at the Johnson County School District brought to her attention by the United States Department of Education Office of the Inspector General.
- State Auditor’s Office wins National Award. “Excellence in Accountability Award” Recognizes New Automated IT Audit System
Thursday, June 15, 2006
The National State Auditor’s Association (NSAA) announced yesterday that the Kentucky State Auditor’s Office won a prestigious 2006 NSAA “Excellence in Accountability Award” in the “special projects” category. The award was given for the Kentucky Auditor’s automated computer system vulnerability assessment process.
- Knox County Audit Report Released – Disclaimed Opinion with 63 Findings; $2.7 Million in Questioned Expenditures: ’03, ’04, ’05 Fiscal Year Audits Referred to Multiple Agencies
Thursday, May 18, 2006
State Auditor Crit Luallen today released the report of the Knox County Fiscal Court audits for the fiscal years 2003, 2004, and 2005, covering the time period between July 1, 2002 and June 30, 2005. The three audits were released together because some of the findings uncovered in the 2003 audit were repeated in subsequent years. The report revealed 63 findings and questioned expenditures of nearly $2.7 million.
- Audits of Owsley County Clerk Uncover Pattern of Large Shortages Followed by Unidentified Cash Deposits
Thursday, May 04, 2006
28 findings; Audit Disclaimed, Referred to Attorney General and Owsley County Attorney
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Statewide Single Audit of Kentucky
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Audit of Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2005 discovered 72 reportable conditions including 3 material weaknesses – an increase of 23 over previous Year
- State Auditor Crit Luallen: Taxpayers Paying too Much for County Jails Offers Recommendations for Cost Savings and Improved Management
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Auditor's Office releases the first ever comprehensive analysis of spending by each of Kentucky's 120 counties. County Jails accounted for total expenditures of $244 million in fiscal year 2005"
- Luallen’s Office Reviews Millions of Welfare Records to Identify Potentially High-Risk Transactions
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
The Auditor's Office released results of a sophisticated computer analysis that reviewed over 5.7 million records from seven Cabinet for Health and Family Services program and uncovered approximately 20,000 records that warrant further investigation.
- Federal Grand Jury Returns Indictments Involving Missing Funds from City of Providence
Thursday, December 08, 2005
Federal Grand Jury Returns Indictments Involving Missing Funds from City of Providence
FBI and US Attorney Became Involved after Auditor Luallen' Office Discovered Over $900,000 in Missing Funds
- Auditor: Over 1 Million Dollars Questioned in Knott County
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Auditor: Over 1 Million Dollars Questioned in Knott County. FY 2004 Audit "One of Most Troubling Ever"; Referred to Law Enforcement and Revenue
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Announces Study of Local School Districts' Flexible Spending Accounts - Streamlining Management Could Bring Half a Million Dollars to State's Coffers
Thursday, October 06, 2005
State Auditor Crit Luallen released a study of Flexible Spending Accounts under the purview of the Kentucky Department of Education. A streamlining of the management of the state's Flexible Spending Accounts could add over a half a million dollars to the Kentucky's General Fund.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Review of Finance Cabinet's Crown Victoria Contract with Countryside Motors
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Review of Finance Cabinet's Crown Victoria Contract with Countryside Motors
No Evidence of Wrongdoing Found; Seven Recommendations Made to Improve Procurement Process
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Performance Review of Kentucky's Contracting of Service Workers
Thursday, September 01, 2005
Outsourcing's Benefits Unknown, No Cost Benefit Analyses; Eight Recommendations for Improvement.
State Auditor Crit Luallen today released a performance audit of Kentucky's management of contracting for service workers and recommendations for improvement. The audit is the second of a three-part appraisal of the Commonwealth's contracting policies. The Auditor's Office found, as in the commodity purchases reviewed in the previous audit, the state is unable to determine the number of service workers under contract with state government.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Examination of City of Georgetown' s Computer Contract. Referral to Attorney General, Commonwealth, City, and County Attorney for Further Investigation.
Monday, August 22, 2005
State Auditor Crit Luallen released a special examination into a series of contracts between CompData, a single employee computer contractor, and the City of Georgetown. The seven findings and fourteen recommendations were given to the Mayor and City Council and have been referred to the Attorney General's Office, the Georgetown City Attorney, the Commonwealth's Attorney, and the Scott County Attorney. The examination, requested by the City of Georgetown, uncovered that the city entered into 14 contracts totaling $740,466 plus daily expenses with CompData from 1998 through 2004. However, total payments from the city to CompData during that time period was $1,869,439.
- State Could Save over $580,000 Annually by Mandating Direct Deposit and Electronic Pay Stubs; Treasurer Miller to Convene Commission to Move State Into Digital Age
Thursday, August 04, 2005
State Auditor Crit Luallen released a report calling for the Commonwealth of Kentucky to mandate direct deposit and electronic pay stubs to replace checks. The savings could exceed $580,000 annually. The review was requested by the State Treasurer's Office. Treasurer Miller will begin the process of moving the state into the digital age.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Unveils New Initiative to Expand Audits of County Jails
Thursday, July 14, 2005
Cooperative Effort among State Agencies and Local Governments in Response to Jail Funding Crisis; First Ever Statewide Jail Survey to be Completed
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases State Government - Wide Auditor's Alert Concerning Security of Surplus Computers Available For Public Sale
Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Thousands of Individuals' Names, Pictures, and Social Security Numbers Left on Hard Drive to be Sold by Division of Surplus Property
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Report on Three Forks Regional Jail Authority
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Substantial Doubt Raised about Jail's Ability to Operate Within Current Financial Structure
- Crit Luallen Releases Ninth Annual Title VI Compliance Report
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
State Auditor Crit Luallen released the ninth annual Title VI Compliance Report of state government agencies receiving federal funds.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Announces Bob Gray as New Director of Division of Performance Audit
Monday, May 09, 2005
Hopkinsville native, former Attorney General's Office and Legislative Research Commission Employee, replaces Marcia Morgan
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Audit of Fulton County Clerk's Fee Account: Eleven Findings Reported
Thursday, May 05, 2005
Major Findings Referred to Attorney General's Office
- State Auditor Crit Luallen releases Review of State Employees' Voting Leave Use
Tuesday, May 03, 2005
Employees' Misuse May Have Cost State over $400,000
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Performance Audit of Kentucky's Ability to Maximize Federal Funds
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
$30 Billion in Federal Funds to Kentucky; $5.8 Billion in Grants to State Government is approximately 33% of entire Budget
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Statewide Single Audit of Kentucky
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Audit of Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2004 discovered 49 reportable conditions including 2 material weaknesses - increase over previous Year
- State Auditor's Office Discovers as much as $3,000,000 in Uncollected Tax Revenue for Local Governments. Mistakes in billing Inventory - in - transit Tax may yield windfall for some municipalities
Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Statewide, as much as $3,000,000 over five years has gone uncollected and may be available for local taxing districts, especially community fire districts.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Report on Kentucky’s Contract Purchasing
Monday, February 14, 2005
First of Three Part Review of Commonwealth’s Contracting Practices -Improvements Recommended
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Announces Update of City of Providence Examination
Tuesday, December 14, 2004
$900,721 missing from City Utility Funds Over a 38-month Period
- Kentucky Auditor's Office Receives Favorable Opinion After Peer Review
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
The Kentucky State Auditor's Office received a favorable opinion during its recently completed peer review. Favorable is the highest opinion given.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Examination of Kentucky Correctional Industries
Monday, November 15, 2004
Examination revealed flawed business practices, lack of financial controls, and gross mismanagement Ten recommendations for improvement offered
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Announces Assessment of Kentucky's Sex Offender Registry: 10th Anniversary of Registry - Recommendations to Enhance the Program
Thursday, September 30, 2004
State Auditor Crit Luallen released an assessment of Kentucky's Sex Offender Registry. The review found a program that is successful overall but could be enhanced by adopting the recommendations cited in the report.
- State Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Report on Benefits to Kentucky of Drug Reimportation - Asks Governor to Request FDA Waiver
Tuesday, September 28, 2004
$107 Million in Potential Savings to Government and Employees
- Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Review of ProCard
Monday, September 20, 2004
Auditor Crit Luallen Releases Review of ProCard: 100 recommendations and a Commitment to an ongoing review
- Auditor Crit Luallen Announces Performance Audits on State's Contract Business Practices: Contracts related to Purchasing, Employment, and Personal Service to be reviewed
Thursday, August 19, 2004
Crit Luallen, Kentucky State Auditor, announced today that the Division of Performance Audit will conduct a three-part review of the Commonwealth's contracting practices. The three areas under review are purchasing, employment, and personal service.
- Clinton County Sheriff's Audits Find Serious Concerns: State Police Involved in Investigation
Thursday, August 05, 2004
State Auditor Crit Luallen today released two separate audits regarding the Clinton County Sheriff, Kay Riddle. The audits, required annually by state law, have led to an investigation by the Kentucky State Police.
- AUDITOR’S ALERT ISSUED CONCERNING CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR EMPLOYEES
Thursday, July 22, 2004
Luallen calls for passage of National Crime Prevention and Privacy Compact during 2005 Legislative Session
- John Cubine Joins Auditor's Office: Will Head Financial Audit Division
Thursday, July 15, 2004
John Cubine, a twenty-nine year veteran of Kentucky State Government, was hired today by State Auditor Crit Luallen. Mr. Cubine will be director of the Division of Financial Audits.
- Joseph U. Meyer Joins Auditor's Staff: Former Kentucky State Senator to be Policy Advisor
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
Crit Luallen, Kentucky State Auditor announced today the hiring of former Kentucky State Senator Joe Meyer from Covington. Senator Meyer is joining the Auditor's Office as a policy advisor.
- STATE AUDITOR'S CONDITION UPDATED Luallen to Achieve Full Recovery
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
- Luallen Undergoes Surgery: State Auditor to be out 3 - 4 Weeks
Wednesday, June 30, 2004
- Crit Luallen Releases Report on Kentucky Racing Commission
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
Former Kentucky Racing Commission "suffered from Lax Management" and a Disregard for Business Practices and State Rules and Regulations